Carb w/Gas Leak (Pics)--NEED HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
84 FJ60

Boy do I need help.

I just installed my Jim C rebuilt carb and routed the vac lines with the emissions manual. The starter turns the engine, but I get no ignition. I have some backfiring, but seemingly from the cat, just under my feet. When I examined the carb, I noticed gas seeping out of the EGR Inlet gasket below the carb insulator. This worries me, because of potential pooling of gasoline behind that inlet, sitting in the intake manifold, flooding the cylinders. I'll paste pictures below.

So, what am I looking for?

Could I have misrouted a vac line and be sucking gas through the carb?

Last edited:
Check your float level. It sounds and looks like a flooded carb and intake manifold. If you're float is stuck open the gas will keep pouring in and flooding your cylinders. You are probably getting raw fuel into the cats as well causing the backfiring. Pull off the top of the carb and check the float. Is the fuel level between the two lines on the sight glass?

Yes, the fuel level is dead center in the sight glass. Does that mean the float is ok?

Yes, the fuel level is dead center in the sight glass. Does that mean the float is ok?

pm Jim C . . .

In the mean time: With air cleaner assembly removed

Fuel level 'mid glass' (where the darts are = bowl level is correct, floats probably working.-

Also, have someone crank it (for few seconds) while you watch to ensure gas is not leaking from fuel line fitting. (ya might see where carb is sweating/leaking )
Then pull a plug or two, look for 'wet'; will tell ya if leak is into manifold...or just 'outside' of carb.

Have that someone stroke the gas pedal once or twice; see if carb leaks,,,see if the 'slow cut valve' is leaking ( see your 3rd pic, little gizmoe w/ two phillips head screws & little lever actuator...)

With gas tank lid removed, blow air into 'fuel return line' from fuel pump.

HTH

this might be a stupid question but. are you sure you got the nuts on the motor side down tight?
i know i had a hell of a time reaching them and still worry about mine.

and also thanks for those pics.
now i have questions of my own

I'd try to get the manifold dried out before doing anything else. Leave the air cleaner off and prop the throttle plates open with something. That should help the gas evaporate. Look down the throat of the carb with a flashlight, (or a match if you're adventurous :) ) Is there a puddle of gas down on the floor of the intake manifold? It'll never start with that in there. You might even remove the plugs to make sure the cyls aren't flooded.

Once its dry, have someone crank the engine so you can watch the venturis. Be careful as it might backfire - eyebrows grow back slowly. If you can see gas pouring out of the venturis, something is really wrong. The accel pump will definitely squirt a visible stream into the primary barrel so I'd crank without any accel pedal action. Any chance you were just pumping the pedal like mad earlier to try to start it? Maybe you flooded it? HTHs.

Thanks for the tips.

You know, I figured with a new carb that a couple of extra pumps wouldn't hurt to prime the carb......but, I may have flooded it myself. I probably pumped the pedal upwards of 10 times over 20 minutes. Maybe that is the explanation.

I'll try to dry it out and see if it fires up. Any other thoughts?

problem / solution identified

Just a follow up for anyone that searches for this down the road.

The gas leak was the result of a inappropriately installed gasket, on my part. I put the gasket on incorrectly linking the EGR piping to the intake manifold. As I recall, the aluminum intake pipe that guides the EGR unit to the manifold was placed ontop of the gasket. Though the bolts were tightened significantly, gas would still have seeped through.

Just a follow up for anyone that searches for this down the road.

The gas leak was the result of a inappropriately installed gasket, on my part. I put the gasket on incorrectly linking the EGR piping to the intake manifold. As I recall, the aluminum intake pipe that guides the EGR unit to the manifold was placed ontop of the gasket. Though the bolts were tightened significantly, gas would still have seeped through.

Old thread, but still good info for those of us that are in the process of tackling this area.

Can you clarify what the problem was? I'm having trouble understanding what you found.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom