Carb to EFI gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on putting a 3FE into my 62 FJ60 and was wondering if there is something special I need to do with the gas tank. I know EFI takes more Psi so do I just need an electronic fuel pump or is there more? This is my first engine swap in any vehicle so I am trying to do everything right without having to redo a ton of stuff. Thanks

some guys use an external pump, others mod the tank to accept the in tank pump. I believe there is a thread which documents some of the conversion. Do you already have your wiring harness worked out?

Gotcha. I was trying to find a thread but wasn’t having any luck.

I think I have. I’m trying to be proactive instead of reactive about it. I’m still putting the motor back together and once I have that done and back in, I’ll start with the wiring. My plan is to disconnect the harness in the truck and label each wire when I unplug it from something. Then I’ll lay it out on the floor and compare it to the new harness. I think that’s going to be easiest.

I have used stock in-tank pumps and gas gagues in aftermarket tanks a few times. Never any issues.

It was scary cutting tanks and shorting/lengthing the pickup, but it worked out fine.

I'm running an aftermarket fuel tank, which is built to handle an EFI pump vs mechanical. I've heard before of guys on here complaining about the characteristics of the stock 60 tank not working well with there external pumps, not priming well, or not siphoning well...not sure exactly.

Either way, stock 62 stuff is always a no brainer but getting hard to come by. So your options are stock 62, mod your 60 tank for in-tank pump of some sort, or run external and hope for the best!

Feel free to PM me if your run in to any snags, going through the exact same swap myself....currently in assembly as well....

I'm running an aftermarket fuel tank, which is built to handle an EFI pump vs mechanical. I've heard before of guys on here complaining about the characteristics of the stock 60 tank not working well with there external pumps, not priming well, or not siphoning well...not sure exactly.

Either way, stock 62 stuff is always a no brainer but getting hard to come by. So your options are stock 62, mod your 60 tank for in-tank pump of some sort, or run external and hope for the best!

Feel free to PM me if your run in to any snags, going through the exact same swap myself....currently in assembly as well....
Awesome! I will definitely keep that in mind. What aftermarket tank did you buy?

LRA - Long Range Automotive, @wardharris sells them nowadays. I bought mine NOS from a seller who hadn't installed it yet (but was selling the 60). It holds 40 gallons and is built very heavy duty, but requires you to relocate your spare...mine is already on the bumper so I was good to go.

Awesome! Thanks

The 62 fuel tank is (relatively) easy to find and the 62 in-tank OEM fuel pump is still available (at least it was about 1 year ago) . The hard part is the bracket that the fuel pump mounts in. It is NLA, and the used parts are usually fine inside the tank and rusted POS outside and on the fuel line connections.

Which ever way you go, i would vote for a stock in-tank pump. That is what Mr.T designed the system to work with, and after two different external pump set-ups, my fuel supply problems went away after I put a stock 62 tank/pump in to feed the 2FE.
Good luck with your decision. If I did not have an aux tank set up, I would have an LRA with an OEM in tank pump.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with the in tank just because of how you all have said that the outside ones are having more issues than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom