Carb throttle repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pjohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
My carb leaks at the throttle rods through the base plate.

72 carb, carefully refreshed with a kit from Kurt.

Has anyone used a bushing kit to repair sloppy throttle rods?

Amazon product ASIN B07JZH94TS

Last edited:
@FJ40Jim @65swb45 @Pin_Head

Do Aisin carbs have this problem or am I just being too OCD about it?

There's play in the shaft but it doesn't seem like much more than a 76 2F carb I just obtained...

I can see fuel wetting the base plate at the shaft ends and jiggling the shaft while running causes a change in idle.

The fuel moves out to the end of the shaft because of capillary action. There is no seal to keep the fuel from creeping out, nor to prevent air from leaking in. Fun fact: reducing clearance will increase the effectiveness of capillary action.

OK. I'll run it and see if I can get it tuned.

Thank you.

The Amazon product is for 5/16 shafts, domestic and their aftermarket. I'd be that Aisan carbs used 8mm? I bet that it would be hard to properly drill for using that reamer.

It could be that the throttle shaft, itself, is worn-out, and not the casting? You'd probably use a new throttle shaft with the Rochester, etc, too.

My original carb appeared to drool when the engine wasn't pumping. But, I could only tell so much by looking thru the hole for the PCV inlet barb. A drool could wet the throttle plate when there isn't vacuum to remove it? A brand-new carb appeared to solve it; didn't have to rethink everything and install TBI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom