Carb solenoid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BBDE6B93-6B5F-4F24-8B66-33E802F66B62.jpeg
So, I have a blue wire and a blueyellow wite that come out near that area—I assume they connect to the wiper water bottle motor— see pic

And I am certain they go to the washer pump

Mark (Coolerman): since that wire goes under a nut, is it possible it goes the coil positive? It is odd that it has a spade connector and can't think of anything in the vicinity that it would connect to. I think my emissions system is pretty complete including the speed marker, speed sensor and VSV--only missing the solenoid on my 3/69-9/69 but Jim is selling me a solenoid. Per my PM to you today, i will send you the other one I have so you can look at it. Martin

Don't send out any of your solenoids until you receive the one I just mailed you. It has a blue wire that is not terminated. An original part can show the length of the wire and type of terminal.

So, after some research on the internet, I have seen 3 supposedly original 69s with that solenoid that appears to be hooked to the coil; hence the u hookup in JF40JIM's book pix. The thing that does not seem right is that the solenoid was activated I think off the speed sensor "computer" in the engine compartment. Am at wit's end to find exactly where the blue wire should be hooked to. If anyone has any thoughts, please chime in. The problem here is that this solenoid appeared on FJ40 in a 6 month range with that odd ball carb. Hard to find documentation. Maybe it does just hook to the positive coil like the 3 pix of original 69s but that does not seem right; that would mean it would always be activated regardless of speed. Anyway, chime in if you have any insight and apologize in advance for long winded post. Martin

Well, I've never seen one of these carbs on a totally original, smogged truck. I ass-u-me-d that it was used for decel purposes, especially since it shows up at the same time as the VSS.
I didn't even pay attention to whether it is normally open or closed.

Try this: Install solenoid & hoses, leave unpowered, start engine. If it is idling normal, touch a jumper wire from batt + to the solenoid. What happens?

Maybe normally electrically closed on ignition until sufficient high vacuum mechanically opens it, for some purpose? I tend to like decel to be rich rather than lean, less muffler popping IME.

6C666C87-BBC0-4365-9809-CDBFD3737A69.jpeg
The above pix is an example of several I have seen after scouring the internet for what are supposedly original 69’ FJ40s that are either for sale or were sold; that is what led me to believe it was hooked to the coil. Jim’s carb schematic pix which shows the blue wire having a horseshoe connector as well as lenght of the wire also supports that view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom