Carb solenoid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
0DE66F94-BD50-4ACF-B234-A706ED0EF98B.jpeg
here is a pix of a carb solenoid I bought that came off a 3/69-9/69 carb. There is a ground wire but nothing else. There is an extra hole on the side so am I missing a wire? I read there were both 1 and 2 wire solenoid versions. BTW, when I opened it up I could not see an attachment point for second wire nor does anything reveal that a wire was cut. The solenoid it seems to me should have a hot wire. The wire you do see is connected to carb. Thanks in advance. Oh, if I do need a new solenoid, please sell me one!

Hi Marty ,

u should have a second Hot B+ wire that hooks to Key On power , Your Selinoid is clearly a 2 Wire type . ( with your second wire where that extra hole is missing & its grommet too

Toyota Uses a White wire w/ Black tracer stripe for Ground Circuits Universally across the board

I bet @65swb45 has one of these for u

Thanks Matt. Mark does not but I hope my $100 offer will spark someone to look for one— got to be one in the world sonewhere!

8F29840F-D147-40A3-BB37-50E4C947BB5F.jpeg
4067C9BE-2249-4B8C-B8CC-0B0CA75FC4F0.jpeg
1D6116B1-0A83-4936-841E-16446C5A6794.jpeg
AD21286C-E6C8-4048-B9E5-DBEA6866C0E2.jpeg
793857F8-072C-4C39-A094-946FEA29FE08.jpeg
Here are some pics Matt. If someone can fix mine I would go that route as well— looks pretty basic inside

View attachment 1739311 View attachment 1739312 View attachment 1739313 View attachment 1739314 View attachment 1739315 Here are some pics Matt. If someone can fix mine I would go that route as well— looks pretty basic inside

Do u have a original part # ( superseded part #'s ) & Year span application for this solenoid ?

Theirs at least a 50/50 shot it was maybe used on another Toyota Vehical Application , Like a 71 Corolla for example or Stout pickup ......

i did not realize it came apart like that , thats very interesting and does open the door for a repair scenario :wrench:

I have to believe that Coolerman can fix it— I will PM him!

PM sent to Coolerman!!

This is not a carb idle cut solenoid as found on later cruisers. It is an idle air bypass solenoid. The computer turns it on when coasting to allow extra air into the engine to reduce the tendency to run rich on decel.

Remove & discard, cap the 2 barbs where the air hoses connected to the carb.

Edit: Wait, did you say you'd pay $100 for one?
In that case, yes, I have a good one for sale!
1531078884463247213181.jpg

View attachment 1739748

Last edited:
Yes, will send you PM

Hi Jim, I just left you a message on your profile page; for some reason it did not have a link to "Start a Conversation" for me to send you PM.
Can you leave me a PM so I can call you regarding the solenoid? Thanks. Martin

Well... Learned something new today! I had never heard of such a thing on a 1969.
Jim was this valve a 1969 only thing?
I have never seen this on a schematic either. If anyone has a schematic where this thing is shown, I would like to have a copy of that schematic.
Jim, any idea where that blue wire connected to?

Well... Learned something new today! I had never heard of such a thing on a 1969.
Jim was this valve a 1969 only thing?
I have never seen this on a schematic either. If anyone has a schematic where this thing is shown, I would like to have a copy of that schematic.
Jim, any idea where that blue wire connected to?

@Coolerman Read post #10 in this thread for more details, SOR page 42 Carb Identifier 042-01c, Parts manual below. HTH John
DSC03924.JPG

The pic shows that there is a spade terminal for the blue wire meaning it went under a screw or nut on something.

Martyt: Do you have an unknown wire coming out of the engine harness near where the VSV wires (yellow/red and White/Black) come out? If so, what color is is?

Since it was emissions computer (Speed Marker) controlled, that blue wire had to go to that computer, but what did it attach to under the hood before going to the computer? The wire shown seems to be to short to have reached all the way into the computer area.

John does that book you have show where that wire connected under the hood?

I need a 1969 harness to document. I have repaired one, but did not have time to document it. Currently in the middle of a 1975 harness documentation... so would not have time right now anyways...

Am at the office but I am going to investigate when I get home tonight. m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom