Carb Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry Jim!

Had to get that out of the way. First of all, I started rebuilding my carb today, at least, I took it apart. My first question to you guys is can I soak each section of the carb in the cleaning solution with out taking anything off that is not necessary to hold the sections together? Do I need to take out each jet and clean them?

BTW, the carb is insanely dirty. The secondary is completely black, and the primary is not too far off. I can see where the SeaFoam helped out my primary, but it did nothing for the secondary.

:beer:

There are lots of tiny passages in the body. The only way to really get it clean is to take it all apart, soak it, flush it and blast it out with compressed air. Don't mix up and of the orafices or jets. It also helps to have an assortment of old screwdrivers that you can custom grind to get a good fit in some of the non standard screwheads. If you soak it without being able to really clean it out, there's a good chance you'll knock some crud loose and end up having to tear it down again.

True. I didn;t think about that. I wanted to be able to take the least amount of parts off though so there are much fewer to mix up.

I'll do it anyway.

Thanks!

I'll be done by tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

take lots of pics

No digi camera, but I am drawing many pictures. That's the same method that I did with my manifold install, and it worked well, so I think that I'm all set.

UPDATE

I just got done removing the top of my carb from the cleaning solution that I bought. After taking it off, I just plopped it into the gallon can of the solvent, and half an hour later, I took it out. The 20 year old part looked brand new!!! It was amazing. The really tough grime that did not fall off in the bucket came off with a quick swipe of a paper towel. I really love this job!!

:beer::beer: -Two for the funnel

ahh an artist. thats kinda cool idea

New week, new problem.

I ordered the GP Sorenson kit from the Autozone by my house, and I went to pick it up today. The problem is that the kit was not for my specific carb. For example, my carb does not have the AAP diaphragm that GP said it did, and also the GP kit said that my carb had an automatic choke. This is wierd. On top of that, my engine manual said that my carb has this AAP diaphragm, but my carb definately does not.

Secondly, my carb had a spacer inbetween the middle and lower sections but the kit that I bought said that it does not. It only supplies a gasket for inbetween the middle and lower sections.

On the other hand, the kit did have the diaphragm that I wanted, plus all the springs and clips that I would need. It even had a new plunger and new valves. It was great all except for the spacer and extra diaphragm.

Where can I get a correct kit for my carb? C-Dan? Or should I just get that kit and reuse the spacer?

BTW, there were no gaskets inbetween the spacer and the metal sections of the carb.

Thanks

Couple of tips before you f#%k it up too bad.
The sorenson kit is extremely universal and does not cover the FJ60 carb very well. It does have a sec. diaphragm, but it is the straight diaphragm for 80-E carbs. To get the correct diaphram, it must be ordered separatly from Advance I posted a link to that part number recently.

There are no gaskets for the carb intermediate block or carb base. Yes, the kit comes w/ some gaskets that look kinda right. But the insulators have gasket material permanently bonded to them. They are to be reused if in good condition. If some dumb4$$ PO has scraped up the insulator(s) in a sadly misguided attempt to remove the original gasket material, then it is time for a new insulator.

only 75-early 76 carbs have AAP. The kit has a aap diaphragm, just throw it out.

Ignore the really bad exploded view instruction sheet that comes in the GP kit. It is a picture of a minitruck carb, very different from 2F carb. Use the FSM.

Final words of wisdom:
Carefully disassemble the carb, note where all the pieces came from and reinstall exactly the same way. Certainly the last 2 hillbillys who rebuilt it were very careful to install all the right parts in all the right places, so you will do fine to follow their lead. ;p

Thank you Jim. That makes sense to me. Thank you very much

I can't believe that I overread the part that you said about the diaphragm Jim. That is not cool at all that I did. I am almost done except for that part. Could I reuse the one that I had originally?

I hope that I can. I want to get this beast started tonight, if possible.

The last question still exists, but I just had to update you guys.

I STARTED IT!!!! I'm so happy. I finished rebuilding it, with some trouble with the kit I might add, and I installed it straight onto the truck. It fired right up!!! Like it was brand new. The first try was rough though due to the fact that I forgot to connect the fuel line, but nevertheless, I started it!!!

Johnny - 2
LC - 0

HELL YEAH!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

sweet thats good to hear. so the diaphragm question is moot then?

Nope. I'd still like to at least buy one so that I can have it in case I need it. If I can find one for cheap, I will even put it on so that I don't have to deal with it.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom