carb rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give me a price estimate for having someone rebuild a carb? I've got the kit, and my friend is going to do the work because I don't have time. He said that he would do it for 1/2 of whatever any regular mechanic would charge. What is fair?!

If you two don't know what a competent mechanic would charge, you really need one. An old friend of mine (mechanical engineer, MBA) told me his 1-word carb rebuilding theory when I was relating my experiences with the float valve in a Fiat 124 carb: "Don't!"

The 2F carb is a medusa best left to the likes of a way-experienced rebuilder (like JimC on this board - he pays us to write things like this).

I had a "professional" shop do mine on my '83 - had to take it back twice because it still wouldn't idle properly (butterfly didn't close completely). Guy said "it ran OK on my test Nissan 4-banger".

You'll get what you pay for.

Mark's Offroad in Burbank, CA[near where I live] quoted me $300 plus parts[parts about $40 I seem to remember]. Also, the out-of-the-box rebuilds can be lousy...best stay away from those.

Get in touch with Jim Chenoweth. He really has done a good job with the carb on my FJ40. About 15 mpg!

Jim Chenoweth!!!!!

i sent mine off last week. $295, total rebuild, includes shipping!

sorry for the hack

go into "member list" and look for FJ40Jim. i have his tele # at work...ill repost in the morning. -sean

You could probably do a decent rebuld yourself. I rebuilt mine a few times (you have to do it twice the first time). Rebuilt my Mom's 60 carb after Thanksgiving dinner, on the dining room table. The hardest part (on a 60) was pulling and reinstalling the carb. If you can pull that carb off, you can rebuild it.
I have, since, gone to Jim C., but you CAN do it yourself.

Pighead said:
You could probably do a decent rebuld yourself. I rebuilt mine a few times (you have to do it twice the first time). Rebuilt my Mom's 60 carb after Thanksgiving dinner, on the dining room table. The hardest part (on a 60) was pulling and reinstalling the carb. If you can pull that carb off, you can rebuild it.
I have, since, gone to Jim C., but you CAN do it yourself.

2nd that. FJ40Jim is good guy with more cruiser smarts than you can believe, but I just wanted the experience of rebuilding the carb myself. If you aren't desmogging and the engine itself is in good shape (compression, valves, etc. all ok), then rebuilding the carb and getting it in tune isn't that difficult. Carb cleaner and B-12 stink to hell, and if you get any on your hands you seem to stink like it for a day or two, but otherwise a good experience to learn how the little bugger works. There are some good write-ups in the tech section, and if you have the FSM (which I didn't when I rebuilt mine) there are fantastic diagrams that break the carb down real easy. Give it a try first, and if you screw it up you can always have someone else rebuild it. Just don't break any parts along the way. :D

Jim C all the way. Mine runs like a champ now.

I had a local shop in Tacoma rebuild my fj60 carb, Alan is considered the local carb guru, but not an Aisan guru. He did a great job(runs as well as the new Aisan on my 40, which cost $600) on mine for $200-ish, but no mods made to it, I would use him again for a stock rebuild. If I wanted(and I will someday) to have my carb upgraded I ONLY use Jim C or Mark A.

I should also mention, Alan did my carb after a so called "land cruiser carb guru" (in TX) screwed me(and others) over for months and when the carb finaly showed up(after threats of calling the cops) it was a total POS........this "guru" blamed it on my motor, said something must be wrong with it..........BULLCRAP! I sent the damn thing back and had Alan rebuild my orignal carb, he looked at the POS carb this guy did and laughed.......said he wouldn't touch it.

So yeah there are some guys that can rebuild a Aisan very well, others have no clue

JimC or Mark.

I used Jim C - great mileage, less stinky now, haven't taken emissions yet.

FJBen used Mark's - less stinky, don't know if he has mileage to report.

You probably can rebuild yourself, but Jim and Mark calibrate your carb to your altitude. And modify per your request.

I had Jim rebuild, recurve my dizzy at the same time

Landpimp said:
I had a local shop in Tacoma rebuild my fj60 carb, Alan is considered the local carb guru, but not an Aisan guru. He did a great job(runs as well as the new Aisan on my 40, which cost $600) on mine for $200-ish, but no mods made to it, I would use him again for a stock rebuild. If I wanted(and I will someday) to have my carb upgraded I ONLY use Jim C or Mark A.

Hey John. Which shop in tacoma? I was going to use a pretty well liked shop up in lynwood, but if you've had good luck with someone... any info would be great. thanks!

rob

Carb Tech, the owner is a freind of mine, is name is Alan, tell em I told ya to call, he has pretty fast turn around. Like I said I recalled it being around $200....

253 472 9667

sl33py said:
Hey John. Which shop in tacoma? I was going to use a pretty well liked shop up in lynwood, but if you've had good luck with someone... any info would be great. thanks!

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom