Carb Rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I need a carb rebuild in the bay area california. Do yall have any recommendations?

I searched through a few of the posts and it seems a lot of the recommended spots have closed down or moved. Appreciate any help

Hi All,
I need a carb rebuild in the bay area california. Do yall have any recommendations?

I searched through a few of the posts and it seems a lot of the recommended spots have closed down or moved. Appreciate any help
Also, any more insight if there could be other issues?

We did find one vacuum hose not connected afterwards and the cat+exhaust was replaced 10 years back

image_123923953.png

Every two years, before a smog test, the old 2F engine should be given a complete tune-up according to the steps outlined in the factory service manual - with no steps omitted.
That’s actually the whole purpose of these smog tests — so people will keep their engine tuned up.
A smog test for a 32 year old 2F is not something to be taken lightly. It’s serious business and the primary hell in owning a FJ60 in smog test counties.

That means :
  • Adjust valves
  • Check timing
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Swap in a new distributor cap and rotor (saved for tests only)
  • Swap in a clean air filter
  • Change the oil
Before the test, some alcohol blended fuel should be added to the tank (or Heet), the engine should be driven on the highway continuously for 30 minutes then pulled into the test station and left idling before testing.
Bet your numbers would improve following those steps.

Every two years, before a smog test, the old 2F engine should be given a complete tune-up according to the steps outlined in the factory service manual - with no steps omitted.
That’s actually the whole purpose of these smog tests — so people will keep their engine tuned up.
A smog test for a 32 year old 2F is not something to be taken lightly. It’s serious business and the primary hell in owning a FJ60 in smog test counties.

That means :
  • Adjust valves
  • Check timing
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Swap in a new distributor cap and rotor (saved for tests only)
  • Swap in a clean air filter
  • Change the oil
Before the test, some alcohol blended fuel should be added to the tank (or Heet), the engine should be driven on the highway continuously for 30 minutes then pulled into the test station and left idling before testing.
Bet your numbers would improve following those steps.
Hey Thanks for the reply! Do you think doing those steps will be enough to get my numbers in a good range? Or have you seen numbers as bad as mine improving enough to get in range?

Hi All,
Yes, rebuild it yourself. This is 'Mud. We're much better at telling you how to do something than where to have it done.
Buy some rebuild kits, watch the videos. Keep the FSM open on the bench. Needs very few special tools. Small hemostats are a help. Not rocket surgery, just a Japanese puzzle box.
I rebuilt my mom's 60 carb on the Thanksgiving table one year, after dinner. Worst part was getting the carb off and on the manifold.

I'm in "the creek" too. I went through a dark period in 2002 where I failed smog several times. Tried taking my truck to Walnut Creek Toyota. I even loaned them my emissions manual, as they didn't have one :( I don't remember what they did, but it wasn't much as my truck failed again. I then went to Central Tune Up Carburetor & Electric. Don't remember what they did either except swap out my nice cast brass air cleaner nuts for some cheaper stamped ones. Another test failure. Eventually, I rebuilt the carb, replaced my air injection pump and put in a new catalytic converter. The next test I passed. My air pump could have been on it's way out because my residual O2 as a little low. And cat's are way too expensive these days to replace if you don't know it's really bad.

If you are still looking for a mechanic, maybe try Gary Kardum at Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma.

Here are my test results over all the years...this reminds me that my smog test is due again this year!

1644969321425.png

I'm in "the creek" too. I went through a dark period in 2002 where I failed smog several times. Tried taking my truck to Walnut Creek Toyota. I even loaned them my emissions manual, as they didn't have one :( I don't remember what they did, but it wasn't much as my truck failed again. I then went to Central Tune Up Carburetor & Electric. Don't remember what they did either except swap out my nice cast brass air cleaner nuts for some cheaper stamped ones. Another test failure. Eventually, I rebuilt the carb, replaced my air injection pump and put in a new catalytic converter. The next test I passed. My air pump could have been on it's way out because my residual O2 as a little low. And cat's are way too expensive these days to replace if you don't know it's really bad.

If you are still looking for a mechanic, maybe try Gary Kardum at Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma.

Here are my test results over all the years...this reminds me that my smog test is due again this year!

View attachment 2925976
Hey Thanks for the response man! Ill give Gary a call about the carb! My dad did the catalytic converter about 10 years ago so i doubt its that.

Hey Thanks for the response man! Ill give Gary a call about the carb! My dad did the catalytic converter about 10 years ago so i doubt its that.
You are really not that far off. Most of the failures that show up on the 60s forum are Gross Polluters... but you are relatively close to passing on both CO and HC.

Before getting into a carb rebuild, I would do the tune up sequence just as @OSS described, including the Heet and the drive. Then do your re-test. I bet you pass.

It's not a bad idea to get your carb rebuilt at some point, but there aren't many guys around who do it anymore, and those that do tend to take a little while. Gary used to use Marlin (of Marlin Crawler) for his rebuilds, but he is getting on in the years. There's also Mark of Mark's Offroad. Those are the two West Coast gurus.

It's worth it to have a backup carb to run while you send yours out. Or, buy a used carb and send it straight for a rebuild while you keep driving on your original.

@Nickcali I feel your pain. I just went through this whole exercise here. I went to another smog shop that specialized in LCs and he said my carb needed to be rebuilt. I didn't think so bc my carb was just rebuilt by the PO about 3yrs ago (and was done at Mudrak) and he wanted an addl $500 to go over the emissions system. So I came back to MUD trying to avoid rebuilding the carb. I did what @OSS mentioned above and finally passed. I didn't even touch the carb. I called Gary and Mark and they were booked out pretty far. My last resort was to rebuild the carb after going through the emissions manual. Also, I was directed to the air injection system bc my O2 was really low. Yours is too. After I addressed it, I passed.

Good luck. I'm in the East Bay too. Let me know if you need any real time help. I feel like I know the AI system now. I went to sleep dreaming about the emissions manual and also passing. Dreams do come true!

You are really not that far off. Most of the failures that show up on the 60s forum are Gross Polluters... but you are relatively close to passing on both CO and HC.

Before getting into a carb rebuild, I would do the tune up sequence just as @OSS described, including the Heet and the drive. Then do your re-test. I bet you pass.

It's not a bad idea to get your carb rebuilt at some point, but there aren't many guys around who do it anymore, and those that do tend to take a little while. Gary used to use Marlin (of Marlin Crawler) for his rebuilds, but he is getting on in the years. There's also Mark of Mark's Offroad. Those are the two West Coast gurus.

It's worth it to have a backup carb to run while you send yours out. Or, buy a used carb and send it straight for a rebuild while you keep driving on your original.
Thank you so much!

@Nickcali I feel your pain. I just went through this whole exercise here. I went to another smog shop that specialized in LCs and he said my carb needed to be rebuilt. I didn't think so bc my carb was just rebuilt by the PO about 3yrs ago (and was done at Mudrak) and he wanted an addl $500 to go over the emissions system. So I came back to MUD trying to avoid rebuilding the carb. I did what @OSS mentioned above and finally passed. I didn't even touch the carb. I called Gary and Mark and they were booked out pretty far. My last resort was to rebuild the carb after going through the emissions manual. Also, I was directed to the air injection system bc my O2 was really low. Yours is too. After I addressed it, I passed.

Good luck. I'm in the East Bay too. Let me know if you need any real time help. I feel like I know the AI system now. I went to sleep dreaming about the emissions manual and also passing. Dreams do come true!
Dude thanks for your response! Ill do what was described before and try to smog it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom