Carb rebuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back on subject (don't get my started on air cooled german stuff - VW, Porsche, BMW R/ Boxer) I like those even more than Land Cruisers. Deutschland über alles when it comes to old stuff to tinker with.

Craig, get the fuel filter on it but before you do that, drain the tank. MANY, MANY times I have fixed a bad running 40 by just dumping the gas. Water and crap builds up in there. Thins is a great trick I learned from working on antique motorcycles and it has worked like a charm many times. Old gas does not work so well in cars without high output ignition and it works even worse in old motorcycles (and even newer ones) with magneto ignition. Probably still a good idea to have the tank professionally cleaned and sealed, but just dropping the old gas will give you some time. The more gas you have in there, the more debris you can flush out. Run some gas through the filler neck if you don't have more than a few gallons in there. Take the old gas to the dump, call first for household hazardous waste day.

I sent you an email about this with more info.

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom