Carb rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How hard is it to rebuild a carb?
And is it worth it or should you ( I mean me a learning as I go) just buy a rebuilt?

depends on the type of carburator. holleys easy, carters and quadrajets a bit more difficult. how mechanicly inclined are you ?
you can google info on them and see what you think.

if you are a good mechanic or at least decent you should be able to handle it other wise just buy rebuilt it will be less of a headache.

Last edited:
The biggest problem is not paying attention during disassembly and getting the reassembly screwed up.

I've pulled the stock aisin carb apart and rebuilt on my father-in-laws '72. Took about an hour or so to do. If you are too worried about screwing it up, just take lots of pics or video of the carb before and while you are taking it apart. Also, taken a rochester a part to clean up as well. Again, the key is to make sure that everything goes back into the proper place. If you do end up cleaning it up/rebuilding it, spray that carb cleaner everywhere and have some compressed air to clean it all out. Also, make sure you have plenty of ventilation :)

Not hard to rebuild pretty simple, get a factory manual and it will tell you everything you need to know, make sure you get a good rebuild kit, one with a new power piston/ valve, the kit I bought did not have one. a good kit should be around 30-40 bucks, also be careful to not damage the gasket on the plastic spacer between the top and bottom of the carb, you will need to reuse it. Most of the time they are ok during disassembly. If you are not very handy with a manual and a screwdriver send it to Mark or Jim C they are pretty good and I'm thinking that Jim also tests his carbs on an engine and adjusts them before he sends them out. I have never heard of someone who thought they paid too much for one of their carbs from these guys. I have talked with both of them and they are rock solid folks. Good Luck

jjhancock said:
Send it to Jim C on this board. You will not be disappointed.

The carb I was looking at is a quadra jet.
Having Jim C may be an option but I could not find that handle.
Anyone have a link or an email address?

just put it back together the way you took it apart, take your time.

please stay stock you will thank us later.before you make any mods please email jim give a buzz or whatever.he knows his carbs and cruisers all the way around:cheers:

isn't jimC famous for rebuilding asian carbs not quads but i'm sure he can do it. I was going to go get a used quad and rebuild until i did some research and realized its a very hard to tune carb and theres about a thousand parts to it, its very complicated carb and i wouldn't tackle it if its your first carb unless you have an eidetic memory.. I've rebuilt an asian, a holley (soo easy) and a two MG's carbs but i don't think i'm gonna try to tackle the qaud... any hot rod guy would prob. be able to rebuild and tune it for you, if there not under the vast assumption that quadrajets suck ( bad rep.)

the people that are saying keep it stock and go to jim C i don't think realize you have a CHEVY 305...

bandy rooster said:
isn't jimC famous for rebuilding asian carbs not quads but i'm sure he can do it. I was going to go get a used quad and rebuild until i did some research and realized its a very hard to tune carb and theres about a thousand parts to it, its very complicated carb and i wouldn't tackle it if its your first carb unless you have an eidetic memory.. I've rebuilt an asian, a holley (soo easy) and a two MG's carbs but i don't think i'm gonna try to tackle the qaud... any hot rod guy would prob. be able to rebuild and tune it for you, if there not under the vast assumption that quadrajets suck ( bad rep.)

the people that are saying keep it stock and go to jim C i don't think realize you have a CHEVY 305...
oh no i did not:eek:

Quadrajet is on of the best carbs ever made. Period, I've had them on Pontaic and corvettes, they work great and are very streetable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom