1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb Rebuild

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Fourrunner, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Fourrunner

Fourrunner SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Will start rebuilding my carb this week and wondered if anyone had any words of advice. I have a Keyster rebuild kit, but is there any other parts I should replace while I am in there. Does anyone happen to have instructions for rebuilding one of these things? Is there any rebuild instructions available on the web? My truck is an 85 FJ60 with 190K miles. I am pretty mechanically inclined and want to learn how to do this stuff. I would love to have it rebuild by Jim C, but just cannot pony up that kinda dough.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I've rebuilt 4 carbs using the advice from PinHead. Get a big can of Berryman's Chemtool Carb dip. It has a parts basket with it. Cost you about $17. You can use it a lot more than one carb. You need a source of compressed air to blow out all the parts you dip. PH recommends rinsing dipped parts in lacquer thinner and I've done that. I disassembled over an old (stolen) bath towel, to catch all those little balls and springs that you're not ready for. The kit you mention, I've used and it had an exploded diagram with it. Really the only thing you have to "set" is the float. The rest is getting things put back together right. The ones I've done are '74 and older with minimum smog stuff, so your job will be a bit more complicated. PH also recommends videotaping the disassembly, which if you have short term memory loss or have to take a long break in the process, is a good idea.
    You'll have some fun and will know a lot more about your carb when you're done. Jim C was VERY helpful to me, the do-it-yourselfer.
    GL, have fun.
    Ed Long :)
    If you need an exploded diagram, pm me and I'll send you one.