Carb Rebuild Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on rebuilding my carb this weekend and was wondering which kit was best. It starts great and runs okay, just has a stumble at partial throttle.
There are lots for about $30, but are any more complete than others? Do they all come with a good diagram. If you've had sucess with a certain brand please let me know. (I don't have a spare $80 for the toyota one unless its really that much better).

Also what else am i likely to need? I'm picking up a fuel filter and some Berrymans, anything else.

I've done a couple of Holleys, Carters and a Dellorto (sidedraft) before. Is this really that much more challenging? I know the facory carbs have a bit of a reputation for being a PITA.

Thanks for any input
Dave

Kyster? I think I hear those were the better kits.

The $30 kits don't come with a diaphram for the secondary. I think OE is the only option on the diaphram - its something like $50. I'd check it before you tear the whole carb apart. It might be the only thing wrong with it.

Try NAPA and get a float too.
:cool:

60wag said:
The $30 kits don't come with a diaphram for the secondary. I think OE is the only option on the diaphram - its something like $50. I'd check it before you tear the whole carb apart. It might be the only thing wrong with it.

Sorry to jack the post....how do you check the vacuum diaphram?
Toad

The whole secondary diaphram housing is bolted to the side of the carb. You can remove it and stick a tube on the vac port. Suck on it. You can feel if its holding vac or leaking. If it feels like it won't hold vac, the diaphram is probably cracked.

60wag said:
The whole secondary diaphram housing is bolted to the side of the carb. You can remove it and stick a tube on the vac port. Suck on it. You can feel if its holding vac or leaking. If it feels like it won't hold vac, the diaphram is probably cracked.

Thanks swag,
I did the paperclip test on the shaft and it didn't move, so I'm thinking the diaphram is cracked, or there is something else internally preventing the vacuum from reaching diaphram. The secondary diaphram is the one on the driver's side towards the front isn't it? In the 2F FSM page 6-4, it's labeled diaphram (part 12).
Toad

Thanks for the input. I'll check the diaphram. I ordered a borg kit (couldn't find Kyster locally) and it'll be here tomorrow so we'll see how it turn out on the weekend.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom