Carb rebuild,'85 2F Aisan non-usa? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Carb rebuild, 2F Aisan non-usa?

I'm cross-posting this with my local forum (ONSC) to see if I can get some additional help from everyone.

Well, I'm attempting to prove how dumb I am and rebuild the carb off the '77 FJ45 from the great north, which is really out of an [STRIKE]'85 FJ60[/STRIKE] (my error in understanding, only the tranny/transfer case is from the 60), with a "non-USA" carb according to the PO.

Instead of doing what most would do and order the rebuild kit from our local auto parts store, I decide to cover my bases and order the specific kit from Spector, at least that is what I thought I was doing. We will see if it turns out to be smart later. Probably should have just sent it to JimC.

I won't bore anyone with the fun part, removal and the state it started in...
FJ45carb-2.jpg

Needless to say, it was fun cleaning, soaking, scrubbing, soaking some more, scrubbing some more, soak, scrub...gets me to this point. The pile o'parts, it cleaned up pretty well considering the start...
FJ60carbrebuild-01.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-03.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-04.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-05.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-06.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-07.jpg

Can't decide if this is a casting flaw or someone was having a hard time removing it before me...
FJ60carbrebuild-09.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-10.jpg

So, everything is going fine until step 3 in the FSM, install the 1st "slow jet". Its not the same length...
FJ60carbrebuild-12.jpg

Like WTF? So, then the search begins on ih8mud to find the answer. I've read through so many carb rebuild threads, my head is spinning. So many posts that jets can be found at the local dealer, Spector but not by me. I can find the mains but I can't even find the part number for the "slow jets".

Best part of all is the ONE that needs to be replace is this oddball. Its clearly plugged. I've let it soak overnight in the carb dip but can't get it to clear. I'm ready to try and push something through but wish I had a back up in case my usual bad luck rears its head and I wind up boring a HUGE hole in the jet.

Sent an PM to CDan to see what he can find in his magic resource book. CDan replied that there is only one part number (21205-61011) for the FJ60 slow jet with no parameters

So, I'll let it soak again today and start the "poking" process tonight when I get home.

And, just for the sake of discussion, the jets I took off were:

power valve - 90
1st slow jet - 55 (the "shorty)
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 150
sec main jet - 220

I'm assuming the changes are due to "tuning" for the de-smog but can't say for sure at this point since I don't know what is stock for a non-usa carb. What does everyone know stock for the US carbs are, something like this:

power valve - 80
1st slow jet - 65
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 147
pri sec jet - 200

What came with the kit was:

power valve - 80
1st slow jet - 65
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 132/138
sec main jet - 180/200

More to come, I hope. Thanks in advance for any insight/guidance...

Last edited:
Lol.

Well the top half looks to be made Jan 25 1979

What confuses me it has a fuel return and the bowl vents that face up Which would make it a carb built from 75 to late 78.

So at the very least you don't have a non usa from a fj60. Would have to be a 75-78.

That being said be very careful poking things in those slow jets. Push in from the side opposite of the threads. If you do like I did you could do like I did and end up poking the orfice out into never never land.

Have to say Jim did me a huge favor and gave me another one. Something I have never forgotten.

I appreciate and truly amazed at both of your abilities, I'm a neophyte in this land.

It looks like I need to continue to dig to verify the rest of whats bolted to the block...

Well the top half looks to be made Jan 25 1979
or 1989 or 1999 or 2009...

Just sayin'

What confuses me it has a fuel return and the bowl vents that face up Which would make it a carb _specified_ from 75 to late 78.
And the single sec booster make it 77-earlier...
And the ICS makes it 77-later.

Have to say Jim did me a huge favor and gave me another one. Something I have never forgotten.
Dude, give it up, you can't hold that against me forever.
Wait, what...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom