Carb options for an early F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having issues with my 64 FJ running. Lately the carb, which is a single barrel Rochester that the PO put on, has been spitting and sputtering. When I get it running (very rough) and push the accelerator it just huffs and puffs and then dies. I recently freshend up my FJ repairing the body and removing both intakes and resealing, as well as replacing the very rough timing gears. It ran PERFECT prior to this. I better mention that the whole process did take about 3 years during which it was not started. At this point Im wondering if there is a better carb option. As far as it running, I have set and reset the timing, checked the valves, spark, rotor, points, plugs. Where is my Gremlin??????
carb.jpg
IMG_0317.JPG

The Rochester is a pretty decent carb. Sitting 3 years is not good for them. Try spraying all over inside with carb cleaner spray, let it sit a few minutes, start it up, rev it up to 2,000 and then hand choke it until it almost stalls. Repeat as necessary. This can clean out the jets and ports in a carb that has sat for a while and had the fuel evaporate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom