Carb newbie.... which weber do I have?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

piecemeal

SILVER Star
Threads
There is a stamped piece of tin attached to the carb that says the following: 1st line - Weber. 2nd line - 79 2C AA. 3rd line - A 083 9 It's on a 74 FJ40 and it looks like it has two barrels. Any idea which one it is ( I'd like to get a rebuild kit as I think it needs it)? :cheers:

are the barrels the same size?

how do I measure to know or can you tell by just looking at them....

You could use a ruler, but eyeballing works well.

Does it have gear linkage on the side?

Google Weber carbs and take a peek. There aren't that many different kinds.

I have a 32/36 and you can see a considerable difference in the size of the barrels. So if your barrels look the same that rules out a progressive carb. Which leaves the 34/34 and 38/38, thats all of the 2 barrel syncro webers i know of for a fj40. That doesnt mean that there arent others, im not an expert, just tryin to help.

this is a 32/36 weber note the progressive barrels
resize

this is a 38/38 weber
Weber3838.jpg

this is a 34/34 weber (solex) carb
K05534c.jpg

looks like a 38/38

142.jpg

152.jpg

154.jpg

looks like a 38/38??

I found a guy to rebuild it. Where can I get and what is the most comprehensive rebuild kit available that will have EVERYTHING he'll need to rebuild and tune it????:cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
For mileage its not the best, but for power it will dump more fuel in the engine than any of the other webers.

tackle trying to tune this myself.... Also, is there an inlet screen for the fuel on the carb?? (I'm wondering if there could be a clog, not sure)

back at it after hiatus.... was checking carb filter and dropped it, gone, can't find it anywhere, gotta get a new one. might as well order new jets and a needle valve while I'm at it (finally found a carb guru who will tune it). what size jets would you recommend or how can I tell what is currently on it w/o dissassembling the whole thing (1974 1.5F with a 38/38 DGES)?? It ran pretty good before the gas tank cancer problems started with the exception of hesitation in third gear on the bottom end (flat spot??). However the timing was advanced pretty far (i.e., couldn't see bead in timing window in order to run). I dunno. Thanks for the help, I am clueless when it comes to carbs....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom