Carb kits......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have rebuilt a carb or two in my day and it looks like the factory carb on the non-US 2F is pretty free of emission stuff even though it's an '81.

I'm wondering then, what people's experiences are with any given kits. There's no question that Mark and JimC are the gurus and will certainly be getting my business in the near future as I continue to ressurect my collection of FJ40s. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at an interim rebuild myself. So, who's bought what kit and how well did it work? I'm most interested in quality so OEM if available is not out of the question. But, if other kits are very qood and endorsed by FJ40 enthusiasts, I want that to be part of my decision making process. Thanks to all, especially for tolerating questions that are new to me and perhaps boring and redundant to you. I'm appreciative.

I just bought one from Napa. Worked for what I needed. It didn't have jets, but I didn't need them. It was ~$30 or so. It wasn't all that difficult on my 71.

Good luck! :cheers:

I have rebuilt a carb or two in my day and it looks like the factory carb on the non-US 2F is pretty free of emission stuff even though it's an '81.

I'm wondering then, what people's experiences are with any given kits. There's no question that Mark and JimC are the gurus and will certainly be getting my business in the near future as I continue to ressurect my collection of FJ40s. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at an interim rebuild myself. So, who's bought what kit and how well did it work? I'm most interested in quality so OEM if available is not out of the question. But, if other kits are very qood and endorsed by FJ40 enthusiasts, I want that to be part of my decision making process. Thanks to all, especially for tolerating questions that are new to me and perhaps boring and redundant to you. I'm appreciative.

You answered your own question! I got a kit from Jim Chenoweth for my '76 3 or 4 years ago and it included the secondary diaphragm, which most kits don't, along with all the other typical stuff for a price around $40-$45. Yes, most kits are in the $25-$30 range, or were then, but his price included shipping! He also kindly answered a few technical questions I got into.

Pete

X3 for Kurt

I didn't find it too difficult, and it was my first rebuild

I religiously photographed everything before I tore it apart and used the Haynes as well as the FSM to put it together again

I have another rebuild waiting on my spare carb :rolleyes:

I have bought kits from Kurt (along with other stuff) and been quite pleased, as I said earlier. But all the kits purchased were for the '70-'74 carbs...the only ones I have rebuilt. If you need a kit for a '75> carb, I think JimC(FJ40Jim@aol.com) is your best bet, primarily due to the 2* diaphragm being included. Both are first-class vendors/servicers here on Mud.
Props to them both...:beer:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom