Carb jetting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago I bought an FJ40 on BAT and my understanding is that it is jetted for the elevation it lived at, which is 6500 feet. I will be driving the truck at sea level mostly, with occasional forays to 3,000 feet. I assume I will burn the thing up if I tried to run it at sea level here with the existing jets. Where can I find the jets I need to install? Which jets should I order? Is it an easy job for someone with moderate wrench turning skills? Never rejetted a carb before.
Sorry I am not married or I would include a photo of my wife's ass to make reading this worth your while.

Welcome to the forum. What year is your 40 series? Stock carb or aftermarket? Photos of your vehicle, specifically the carb setup will help you get the information you are looking for.

I assume I will burn the thing up if I tried to run it at sea level here with the existing jets.
LandCruisers are very difficult to burn up. It can be done but you really have to work at it.
Your 40 will probably run just fine at sea level without burning up. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, as always, try not to run it over 6K RPM for any length of time.
Theoretically, you can get to the jets through the drain plugs on the float bowl. I never have been able to swap jets without taking the top off the carb. Sorta easy after you've done it a dozen times.
Might be best to take a look at your jets, see what you have and decide what you need.

It's a 1971.
Welcome to the forum. What year is your 40 series? Stock carb or aftermarket? Photos of your vehicle, specifically the carb setup will help you get the information you are looking for.
It's a 1971.
1971_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_IMG_2626-36817-scaled.jpeg

1971_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_IMG_2626-36817-scaled.jpeg

It was for sale on here also. Can't remember his screen name but might have more info of what's in it.
You'll probably need to just open it up and check the jets

Have you driven it yet, how does it do? You won't damage anything

A few weeks ago I bought an FJ40 on BAT and my understanding is that it is jetted for the elevation it lived at, which is 6500 feet. I will be driving the truck at sea level mostly, with occasional forays to 3,000 feet. I assume I will burn the thing up if I tried to run it at sea level here with the existing jets. Where can I find the jets I need to install? Which jets should I order? Is it an easy job for someone with moderate wrench turning skills? Never rejetted a carb before.
Sorry I am not married or I would include a photo of my wife's ass to make reading this worth your while.

Jets are NLA (no longer available) from Toyota and have been for a while. SOR has a list of Jet sizes that would have been stock on a stock carb according to year/location/spec. In the 60 section are a few threads of people using Mikuni Carb jets that seem to work. I have never used them.

At altitude, because the air is thinner, Jets need to be smaller, as same amt of fuel plus less air richens the mix. So at sea-level you may run lean, depending on what was done (if anything) to the carb.

You could send your carb off to one of the Carb gurus for a rebuild to your needs.

** AND, for some of the people in CHAT, a pic of your ass might have been sufficient.

Good luck! Nice truck! :)

In the 60 section are a few threads of people using Mikuni Carb jets that seem to work. I have never used them.

Good luck! Nice truck! :)

they work great here too.

It was for sale on here also. Can't remember his screen name but might have more info of what's in it.
You'll probably need to just open it up and check the jets

Have you driven it yet, how does it do? You won't damage anything

Its being picked up tomorrow and hauled here.
I'm embarrassed you had the link for it. I would have never dreamed to pay that much for one and yet I did.
My first one was in better shape than this one and I paid $1500 for it in 1980. Bidding frenzies. Easy to get caught up in. Sigh...

Its being picked up tomorrow and hauled here.
I'm embarrassed you had the link for it. I would have never dreamed to pay that much for one and yet I did.
My first one was in better shape than this one and I paid $1500 for it in 1980. Bidding frenzies. Easy to get caught up in. Sigh...
You did fine, that's a really solid, nice, original 40! I hope your plans are to keep it just the way it is.

You have a good early two barrel Aisin carb on there. You can get a rebuild kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. It won't include all the jets but once you open it up you might have what you need. There are usually extra jets behind the float bowl jet plugs. Get yourself an F Factory service manual and it will walk you through the process if you haven't worked on these carbs before. Every 40 owner should do it and learn how to set up their carb.

There's a date code on the air horn, above the float bowl so you should be able to pinpoint month/year of your carb. The kits Kurt has cover most.

When I set my early 70's carb up for sea level recently,I used this:

120 primary
180 secondary
60/80 slow jets
80 power jet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom