Carb jet source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
Rebuilding my carb dated Mar '81. It's off of my '77. Thanks to some sleuthing I discovered it wasn't a '77. Using PinHead's videos but discovered one of my slow jets has walked away. Is there any source for carb jets? I'm near sea level. The one I'm missing is the secondary and numbered 70. The primary is number 55. Does this sound like what I should have or, if available somewhere, should I try a different size?

Last edited:
I might have slow jets laying around. When I converted from Webber to Aisin I think I bought a rebuild kit that included replacement slow jets but I couldn’t get it to idle right with them (my carb is a ‘76). Let me see what I can find.
Rebuilding my carb dated Mar '81. It's off of my '77. Thanks to some sleuthing I discovered it wasn't a '77. Using PinHead's videos but discovered one of my slow jets has walked away. Is there any source for carb jets? I'm near sea level. The one I'm missing is the secondary and numbered 70. The primary is number 55. Does this sound like what I should have or, if available somewhere, should I try a different size?

Last edited:
Well I have a 55 and a 90, had to look back at my old thread to see what I have in my carb. My jet combos are Primary (150 main & 65 slow), Secondary (220 main & 85 slow). Let me know if you strike out looking for the replacement

94077849-AFFF-4AA8-AF3D-84844F21156B.jpeg

The one I am missing is 70, I'd like to try your 90. How much to throw it in an envelope?

Nothing, pm your address and I’ll get it on its way

Hello all,
Although I've been on the site for a few years, still a total newbie. I just did a carb rebuild on my FJ-40 1977, but despite tinkering, I'm still have some issues with idling and running lean. I did check for vacuum leaks as everyone suggested and found none. With some help from a few well inclined car friends, we think the carb jets we have are the wrong size. (I'll need to take it out again to confirm) As background, this FJ40 was originally from CA and was smogged and emissioned for CA. It's now been with me in Michigan for the past 5 years. It's now de-smogged, but has always idled funny. I did replace the intake gasket recently since that was definitely leaking and generally it runs pretty good aside from the idle issue and running lean. Could it be that the jets are CA emission jets (ie 1.24) and not a more typical federal size like 1.36? Since I'm at sea level and a different environment, can that cause the carb to run lean? Throttling up and pulling choke always helps, but not very efficient to keep doing that. If I swap out the jets to a larger size is that likely to improve the idle issue? The secondary carb rarely activates and I'm wondering if that's because of the jet size? Finally, if this theory is right or makes sense, where could I find an appropriate jet? SOR didn't have any nor did any other searches so far, but I haven't asked anyone on this forum yet. Sorry if I sound a bit lost and confused, but my crash course in carb's has been a long slow process.

Idle mixture is mostly controlled by the idle mixture screw, which you can readily adjust. Why do you think the truck is running lean?

It is possible that anyone could have rejetted the carb for various reasons - either CA emissions or higher elevation. FWIW - the secondary barrel (in my experience) engages rather slowly and only after you have your foot to the floor for a few seconds. It's not like most domestic carbs, in that regard.

Flying by the seat of your pants, or do you have actual vacuum numbers? If so, what are they?

I wouldn’t consider changing jets, or offer advice on changing them, without vacuum numbers.

At idle
When you hit the gas
With choke partially engaged, per your description
Cruising
Decel

So I went through again, all vacuum reading were good, but what I found is that the main and secondary jets were really weird, they were both 1.24 and when I switched them to some larger jets from a Keyster kit I got, everything resolved. I suspect they were really lean to pass emissions for CA. The power jets too were really lean and increased them to 90/100 from the 70s that I found in there. When I did the rebuild, I just put the jets back in place and never really looked at them. Initially I though I screwed up and reversed the jets, but both primary and secondary were that smaller jet size.
The good thing from all this, is finally, I'm idling normally, and it's running so much better than I ever had it running over these past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom