carb interchange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to go back to a stock carb on an early '80 fj40 desmogged ..what year carbs will work...

I think any Cruiser carb from '69 to '87 will bolt on (basically any 2-barrel carb). If you're desmogged, do a search on what's preferred, I think generally a '74-ish carb is desirable because it has very little, if any, extra vacuum connections to get in the way of your desmog. Of course you can do a de-smog with any carb setup, just some are more clean than others. Also try a Trollhole carb since you're desmogged already.

Thx...........are there any markings/stampings/serial # on carb so I can verify year?

Thx...........are there any markings/stampings/serial # on carb so I can verify year?

Sure, on top of the air horn on the forward side of the carb is a stamped number on a boss. For example, you could have 4 C 12. The "4" stands for 1974, 1984, etc. The "C" stands for the 3rd month of the year, "March." The "12" stands for the 12th day of the year. So the carb has a build date of March 12, 1974.

Having said all that, a Trollhole carb is what you need I think.

another vote for the Troll in a hole - good guy :D

Depending on what aftermarket setup you have, you may also need to purchase:

manifold studs

carb insulator

stock air cleaner

Rod linkage

steel fuel and return lines.

These are the 'hidden' costs of returning to stock that some folks forget to consider when 'doing the math.' Hth

Best

Mark A.

I am looking to go back to a stock carb on an early '80 fj40 desmogged ..what year carbs will work...
01/79-7/80 will be the best fit, because they are tall (unlike 81-later) and only have one fuel inlet (unlike 75-78). If a suitable plug can be found, a 75-78 carb will work, but the fuel return needs to be plugged.

And x2 what mark said, there are many other pieces that tend to get discarded or destroyed when an aftmkt carb is installed. Finding a carb is easy, finding a complete mechanical throttle linkage is more difficult.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom