carb insulator???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what are your thoughts? is it needed? mine is toast, seems like alot of $$ for this part......

Tinker, I will take one off your hands but I don't have a clue what they are worth. Let me know what you need including shipping to 46220. Thanks.

I would replace the part with an OEM one. This is one of those parts that you shouldn't skimp on, in my opinion.

:beer:

ummm mine doesnt have one and it always worries me. but if i put one on, my fuel line wouldnt reach. whats ther dealio on that.
would love to hear from you jim on that one.
but of course any input is appreciated and more than welcome as always :doh:

brett76 said:
ummm mine doesnt have one and it always worries me. but if i put one on, my fuel line wouldnt reach. whats ther dealio on that.
would love to hear from you jim on that one.
but of course any input is appreciated and more than welcome as always :doh:
Are you sure the insulator is totally missing? You mean the carb is sitting directly on the intake manifold? :confused:
I didn't think that was possible. IIRC when attempting to set the carb directly on the intake manifold, the throttle arm hits the manifold and/or inter-manfold bolts.

I'm guessing that the insulator block is still there, but the heat shield or "wings" that go off the front and back of it are broken off.

Hey, this conversation is pointless without pictures! :flipoff2:

I agree. I've been thinking about how to reply to this one.

There has to be something inbetween your carb and your intake manifold. If there wasn't, then the throttle linkage would not line up correctly. Plus, the air cleaner would sit about 2 inches above the top of the carb. There has to be an insulator there. Like jim said, there might be an absence of wings, but an insulator or spacer exists there.

What about the vacuum port that is inside the spacer?

are the wings needed? I guess that is my main question.

I do have the insulator with the metal pipe coming off of it but my wings are toast.

there is like a heat sheild that spans the intake manifold and then a pretty thin gasket on top of that i will go take a pictue now and post it.
i thought it was normal until i saw a pic of one online and went to myself " that lookl nothing like mine hmmm....."

ok this is what the whole thing bolts to. pull the four nuts and this is what you get. is that right?

more pics coming with it on. hard to see though
carb gasket.JPG

That's what mine looked like before I replaced it.

I think that the only things that the wings do is insulate the carb and fuel lines from the heat of the manifolds in the hopes of reducing vapor lock. I might be wrong, but that's the only thing that I can think of.

Dosen't do much for a $100 part, does it?

ok that makes more sense. especially because i hear about these heat shields flaps or whatever and always wonder wtf. now it seems i know where they are supposed to be. is this an issue not haveing them?

It depends. How long have you been driving your truck without them?

Have you had any problems?

well yes and no. usually its fine but every since i changed my exhaust manifold i have some stumbling problems after a warm start at around 2000 rpms until it gets hot again

Does anyone know if headers will interfere with the insulator fitting properly?

Hedders exist below the intake manifold, so they should not interefere with a full carb insulator.

I don't know about your problem. It might be vapor lock, but I don't know. Wait and someone else will give a definate answer.

so if the wings aren't in the best of shape, at worst, I might be at risk of vapor lock?

if that is the case, I will wait a while on buying that one. I won't be driving it much in the near future.....too many mods on my list.

As far as I can see it, yes. That is all I believe. It does nothing else structurally (sp?) or mechanically.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom