carb hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a used carb from a 76-77 '40. not too sure what these two ports attatch to. any ideas?
this.jpg

Smog Vacuum Switching Valves mounted up front on/by the thermostat housing, IIRC.

They are both below the throttle plate, and would be continuous engine vacuum.

If you are not fully smogged, block them off, and run it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve, I thought the one on the right would be ported vacuum to advance the distributor?

Ed

I thought that Toyota did not offer a carb in the US that had a vacuum port above the throttle plate...that was one of the JimC mods that can be done when he builds your carb...but I am certian that someone far more in the know than I will post up, and then we will all learn something! :)

:beer:

Steve, this is a '74 carb, so not the same as the pic in this thread, but it is the throttle body I am going to run with my new motor. I guess it is non-USA?
Ed
Enginerebuild 025.jpg
Enginerebuild 026.jpg

No Ed, that would be a vacuum port that would give you constant engine vacuum...

The right side one looks like ported vacuum. Stick a piece of fishing line in there and see if it comes out above the throttle plate. I think some years had ported vacuum and some didn't, but I don't know which ones. I am a more of a Solex and Q-jet carb guy.

"One experiment is worth a 1000 expert opinions"

HP White labs

I was going to post up with a snappy, smartass answer, but I checked my manuals and now I am confused. The '74 throttle body hepled, though (thanks, Degnol)... The one on the right of your '77 carb would be the dist. advance, in a non-smog situation. the other one is for the EGR or EGR cut port (or something). On a smogged engine, these are all interconnected by check valves, temp sensors and Rube Goldberg-type doohickeys.

Best to get the emissions manual if you need to be smog legal, but my hunch is that you can cap the one on the left, and run the other to the advance diaphragm on your dist.

Have fun!

nial (deep in CA emissions hell)

Poser said:
No Ed, that would be a vacuum port that would give you constant engine vacuum...
Steve, the brass tube in the second pic goes to the little hole that is right above the throttle plate, kinda splits the difference as the hole is something other than round.
You run a Weber carb, don't you?

And Charlie, these are old pics and you commented on an old thread to run a small wire or fishing line and I did. Pretty sure it is ported vacuum.

Thanks,
Ed

Sorry Ed...reversed that pic in my head....

you are correct, that port is above the throttle plate.

:beer:

Big B. said:
Picked up a used carb from a 76-77 '40. not too sure what these two ports attatch to. any ideas?
The carb in the pic is a 1977. The fitting on the left is officially "EGR cut port". Fitting on right is "EGR port".

Both fittings are ported vacuum. The cut port is faster (lower) than the EGR port.

Poser said:
I thought that Toyota did not offer a carb in the US that had a vacuum port above the throttle plate...that was one of the JimC mods that can be done when he builds your carb.
It's just the 69-74 carbs that have no ported vacuum. It can be added during a rebuild.

Except for that one throttle body that Degnol keeps showing us. It's a 1974 cali-spec which has a ported vac fitting for the EGR system.

IME, 2F carbs all have at least one ported vac fitting that can be used to operate a vac advance distributor.

Thank you for the clarification Jim!

:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom