Carb Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have been working on getting my newly aquired fj60 running. I finally got it to start and run, but the carb fills with gas. It fills up on the side that does NOT have the choke. It will just continually pour out of the "spout" type thing (sorry im a newb) at the top of the carb on that side.
Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

If the carb is overflowing, then it is most likely that the float is either broken or the float valve is stuck open. In both cases you need to remove the top of the carburetor to access the float and valve assembly. You will get a new valve with most rebuild kits, but the float would be a separate purchase. the float may have to be purchased from toyota.

There is a site glass on the front of the carburetor. When the float and valve a working and adjusted properly, the fuel level should be in the middle of the glass.

Here is a tread on a similar topic. Also check my link to another thread in post 8.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/281731-float-bowl-sticking.html

If you need a float, they are available from NAPA

Float could be stuck. Could try draining the bowl by removing one of the bowl jet screws. lol and put a bent paperclip in there and try to move the float.

Worth a try before removing the top. Also be aware when you remove a bowl drain all the gas will flow out of it.

Thank you all for the information. Does anyone know if there is there a DIY at all on replacing this float?

The 2F engine manual has procedures for disassembling and inspecting the carburetor. The float is included in those procedures. You can download a copy of the manual from here: Index of /Cruiser and M416 Manuals

While you can replace the float with the carb mounted onto the truck, I find it's much easier to remove the carb. It doesn't take that much longer to remove it.

You are probably going to find you have to adjust the float drops a couple of times to get it to run just right. A little too much or too little on either gap and it runs quite a bit different. Just my experience anyways and I have tinkeritis...I always just pull the top off with the carb still mounted. Takes about 10 mins to pull it, adjust, and reassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom