Carb Heads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling all Carb Experts --- time to show off your knowledge --

Anybody got the 2F Carb Jet Diameters? I'm having a heck-of-a-time trying to get this "PIG" running.

I have got a 75 FJ55 with 2F engine using a 74 FJ40 F Carb (60205). I have got the F Engine Repair Manual (for my 72 FJ40) but don't think I can use the same specifications for a 2F engine. Here are the F Carb specifications (early 70s) from page 5.40:

Primary Jet 1.12 mm
Primary Jet Spare 1.08 mm (above 6000 ft)

Secondary Jet 2.0 mm

Power Pump Jet 0.9 mm
Power Pump Jet Spare 0.8 mm (above 6000 ft)

Use the Spares for elevations above 2000 meters (6000 ft).

The 74 Carb I am using has the following jets installed:

Primary Jet 1 separated with 08 or 80 (1.08??)
Primary Jet Spare 114 (1.14??)

Secondary Jet 80 or 08 (0.8????)

Power Pump Jet 08 or 80 (0.8???)
Power Pump Spare 55 or ???

My slow jets are stamped:

Primary 55
Secondary 08 or 80

As you can see, they don't line up with the "F" engine specifications.

My range of elevation is 0-3000 feet (Washington State). Also, I don't understand the "stamping" order on the jets. Can anybody explain. Can you "swap out" the Primary Jet and Power Pump Jet (interchangable)?

Thanks

75Pig

75 FJ55
72 FJ40

I assume you have checked here?

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/carbinfo.php

"P&S main jets should be 1.20 & 1.80 mm respectively. Older issue had 1.42/2.00. richens primary circuit and leans secondary circuit.

P&S idle jets should be .50 and .80 mm. older issues has .50/.50. richens secondary idle circuit. Primary idle circuit jet diameter increase might benefit low rpm performance."
"Power valve jet is .80 mm for 73/74 issue and .90 mm for older issue. Leans mixture, but ok given previous changes. Spring free length should be 1.75 inches. Spring will take a compression set in 20 years, if it is overstretched."

I believe the #'s are just in mm.

GL
Ed

Last edited:
Degnol

Nope -- didn't know "how" to look there. Thanks for the info and the path. Helpful :) Will have to try to better understand the "search" function. You know -- just a Rookie -- we are SLOW.

Still have to figure out the "stamped" number convention on the jets. Like -- does the zero represent the decimal point -- what happens in 4 @ 6 below??:

1.) 09 is a .9 mm ?
2.) 08 is a .8 mm?
3.) 1 on top with an 08 on bottom is a 1.8 mm???
4.) 1 on top with a 12 on bottom is a 1.20 mm??? (what about the 1)
5.) 2 on top with a 00 on bottom is a 2.0 mm ??
6.) 114 is a 1.4 mm?? (What about the 1)

Thanks -- anybody got any ideas on the "stamped" numbers. I've got to figure out the "right" pieces (jets) to put in the right places.

75PIG

Degnol

By the way -- thanks == Noticed that you may have been the one that wrote the info at the link --- Good Stuff -- have to do my 72 FJ40 carb too.

75PIG

Naw, not an author, just another "user" here. A rookie/newbie with a larger post count. The code is.....
08 =1.08mm

I think the one you will need to play with is primarily the primary jet. You know the jets can be easily changed without much trouble with the right screwdriver.
A 'Split-blade' flat blade screwdriver. I got mine from Snap-On from their "Blue Point" line(P/N YA355) for about $10.
So it is not difficult to change jets until you are happy.

Ed

Thanks -- I will try to get a "split-blade" from Snap-on. My Craftsman doesn't seem to fit it quite right (thanks for the part no.). By the way, I am happy already :bounce2:

The amazing thing is that I have three used carbs from 72-74 timeframe and "none" of them have the "right" size jets that I need -- according to the "Code." Wondering if manufacturer of the jet changes how you read it? The Power Jet (either 80 or 08 - former to get the .8mm) I seem to be able to correlate. Well, have to trial and error it.

75PIG

Sorry --- You did --- I have tried to delete but I couldn't see an option to delete the 2nd --- "assumed "right click" and delete

reposted one of your responses below in case I figure out how to delete.

I would use the specs for the '74 carb and then "play" with the jets if it is running too lean. I assume you looked here?

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/carbinfo.php

Lotsa good info there.

Let me know what you come up with, because that is the same setup I'm going to use on my "new" 2F.

BTW the #'s are in millimeters. Yes 114 = 1.14mm

ED-IT! DejaFricking Vu...I thought I already replied to this! Hey delete one of these things...I almost quit drinking.

Ed

Go to the other post, hit "edit" and choose delete.

GL

Ed

75PIG said:
Thanks -- I will try to get a "split-blade" from Snap-on. My Craftsman doesn't seem to fit it quite right (thanks for the part no.). By the way, I am happy already :bounce2:

The amazing thing is that I have three used carbs from 72-74 timeframe and "none" of them have the "right" size jets that I need -- according to the "Code." Wondering if manufacturer of the jet changes how you read it? The Power Jet (either 80 or 08 - former to get the .8mm) I seem to be able to correlate. Well, have to trial and error it.

75PIG

What jet(s) do you want, I may have some extras.

ed

Ed

According to the Ed Cook info, I need:

Primary @ 1.2 mm
Secondary @ 1.8 mm

However, these are still for an "F" engine not a "2F" like ours -- I assume that the "2F" will require more fuel so thought that the jets may need to increase?????

Regarding the Duplicate -- annoying-- "other" post, I have tried to delete, I can only edit for some reason. Do you have to delete your response to my post for me to delete my post --- When I move my mouse over the "edit" I get a description of edit/delete, when I click on "edit" (the ONLY option) no option for delete shows -- so I just "blanked" out my description, leaving your post.

Rookie mistakes -- whats next

Got to take my kids and get some dinner (west coast) -- check with you later

75PIG

When you click "edit" the top box has the "delete" option.

I'll look at my jet collection tomorrow and see if I can help. I also have some very small dental drills in mm increments you can use to drill yours out. Hang on to all your collection as I don't think they are available from Toyota anymore.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom