Carb Gods arise and help the mortal car guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some carb help.

So I picked up a 1 inch 4 hole spacer to give myself a little more torque (thats what I understand anyway). Put it on and it sounds like I have whistle tips on my carb!!!!!

So I kept the original gasket from between the intake manifold and carb (Edelbrock performer) and used it between the intake manifold and spacer. Then I bought a 4 hole gasket and put it between the 4 hole spacer and carb.

It starts up whistles like a banshee then dies out.

So, did I put the wrong gastket on? Should I have used a standard gasket and not the 4 hole one between the spacer and carb? Is it the spacer making the howling noise? How do I adjust the carb to compensate for the change in plenum space?

Like all my mechanical projects....nothing is as easy as I think its going to be.

Dan

You have a vacuum leak. Most likely, at the adapters. Install new gaskets, every time.

Find that, and your 'whistles' should cease.

Good luck!

-Steve

OK I'll get new gaskets but did I get the right kind? Do I even need a gasket that has the 4 holes in it? I'll replace both tomorrow and see what happens.

Any tips on adjusting the carb for the change?

Repeat after me:

You should not have to adjust your carb to compensate for gaskets.

Get the idea?

Step 1. Put the vehicle back together the way you started with and see if the problem goes away.

Step 2. Check intake manifold, 1" plenum and both sides of both gaskets for burrs, bumps and ANY OTHER surface irregularity.

Step 3. Reassemble. If whistle returns, AND YOU STILL INSIST on going down this road, then and only then invest in fresh gaskets.

P.S. Have you considered buying one of those twirly fan things that goes above the carb? THey sell them on Ebay once and awhile! :flipoff2:

#1 Do not buy a Tornado (twirly thing over the carb) big farce written all over the net. If you feel that you need one, I will cut up a Coke can and sell it to you for half price.
#2 Get the 4 hole gaskets to match your plenum.
#3 After replacing the gaskets and the vehicle is idling in the driveway, use some spray carb cleaner and spray (cafeful around hot parts like the exhaust) the base of the carb and base of the spacer. Any increase in rpm of the motor tells you that there is still a vacuum leak.
#4 Verify that there is NO binding of linkage for carb/tranny when accelerator is fully depressed. Do this when engine is off.

Mark-

So you think spacers are not worth the effort? By the way, you complimented how well my carb ran at altitude during the 45 run last summer.....see how far I've fallen :depressed:

:D I'll take it apart and check for irregularities and install new gaskets if needed. Is it possible that I don't have the carb tightened down enough? I don't have a torque wrench and I'm always a bit hesitant to crank things down.

Thanks, hope I get this figured out soon. Dan

you dont need a torque wrench for a carb.... i use a box open end wrench and pull on it with 2 fingers. This ends up being about 10- 20 ft/lb depending on the size of the wrench used. ie 10mm wrench is about 5" long, and a 17mm is about 10" long

Poser said:
You have a vacuum leak. Most likely, at the adapters. Install new gaskets, every time.

Find that, and your 'whistles' should cease.

Good luck!

-Steve

Inspired!!! :grinpimp: New gaskets fixed the problem. Running great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom