Carb Flooding???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my current issue. My 40 starts right up first time no problems. The issue is after I drive it for a while. Anything over 10 minutes or so, turn off the engine and try to fire it back up after a few minutes of setting. For instance, just 2 days ago I drove it to the nearest gas station which is about 5-6 miles away from my house. Turned the engine off to pump gas. After it's all filled up, turn the key and the engine turns over fine, lots of life but doesn't start right up. It takes a few minutes of cranking on it before it fires up. Smells of gas fumes while cranking on it. Any ideas?

Sorry for your trouble. It sucks to be broken down without your tools.
Couple questions. If you kept driving for a longer period would the truck die or Is it only a restart problem?
What’s your method of starting your truck after it’s warm?
How long have you owned it?
Does it normall
Are you sure you’re getting spark when this happens?
What carb do you have?

What year is your truck?

Later models have an under hood fan in the engine compartment. This fan is supposed to come on and run after you turn off your 40, if the temp is too high. If it does not, you may experience vapor lock.

Your truck could start but the vapor lock in your fuel line would cause stalling or poor running.

In addition to the questions above, I would ask if you have the factory manifold or headers?

Proper hot start technique is peddle to the floor, do not pump, and turn key.

I was fighting hot start problems for a while and in my case it turned out to be a improperly vented gas tank. It would get hot, pressurize, then blow fuel past the needle valve and flood my engine. This would happen if the truck was hot or cold, just needed to be parked in the sun.

Sorry for your trouble. It sucks to be broken down without your tools.
Couple questions. If you kept driving for a longer period would the truck die or Is it only a restart problem?
What’s your method of starting your truck after it’s warm?
How long have you owned it?
Does it normall
Are you sure you’re getting spark when this happens?
What carb do you have?
It appears to be only at restart. The other day after I got it started at the gas station I drove it about three times that far before I turned it off again. Same thing that time too. It set for about 10 - 15 minutes and I had trouble starting it up, cranked on it for about 5 minutes off and one and finally it fired up. I've owned the 40 going on 6 years. Seems to be normal for it. I think so, because eventually it fires right up and runs perfect. Weber Carb.

What year is your truck?

Later models have an under hood fan in the engine compartment. This fan is supposed to come on and run after you turn off your 40, if the temp is too high. If it does not, you may experience vapor lock.

Your truck could start but the vapor lock in your fuel line would cause stalling or poor running.
My FJ is a 73 model w/a 2F engine. I'm not familiar with this fan u speak of. I have heard of vapor lock. I had a mechanic friend of mine suggest that I open the gas cap for a few minutes before restarting. What suggestions do you have for this issue?

In addition to the questions above, I would ask if you have the factory manifold or headers?

Proper hot start technique is peddle to the floor, do not pump, and turn key.

I was fighting hot start problems for a while and in my case it turned out to be a improperly vented gas tank. It would get hot, pressurize, then blow fuel past the needle valve and flood my engine. This would happen if the truck was hot or cold, just needed to be parked in the sun.
Factory headers. I installed a bigger gas tank that's up under the bed. It is vented with what the supplier provided but I'm not sure that's not the issue. What did you do to correct the improperly vented gas tank?

If you install the Holley Sniper 2300 EFI that problem will go away and your 40 will run better than it ever has !!!

When you open your gas cap, do you hear a ‘whoosh’?

Vapor lock happens when the heat from the engine "vaporizes" some of the fuel in the fuel line.

This can prevent fuel from flowing from the gas tank to the carb.

An easy way to check is to remove the fuel line from the fuel filter. This should release the vapor lock. Reconnect the fuel line and see if the engine starts and runs.

The under hood fan was added by Toyota to deal with the increase in temps "under the hood" with the more stringent emission controls

This is normal. The solution is in the factory manual for the OEM carb. Also, happens on my Weber in my Nissan 720, fixed by the same technique.

When it gets hot, the suggestion is to open the throttle, then turn the key. Post #4. Don't pump the accelerator, just depress it once with your foot a bit to get air thru the throttle plate until it starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom