Carb fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
Does this look like the right carb fan for a 1977 FJ40? I sense it is not.
IMG_0890.jpg

you are kidding right.

YES that IS the correct carb fan for a Calif emissions 77. It mounts in the drivers side front corner of the engine bay. May be the only year that used that fan.

just how important is it to have one of those under hood fans operating for the 2f motor to survive/function well in a place like cenCal.?

just how important is it to have one of those under hood fans operating for the 2f motor to survive/function well in a place like cenCal.?

I drove mine around for some years before I got the carb fan working. While it seems like a very good idea, you'll live without it.

The smaller one from post 3 is stock for a '78 Cali-spec '40.

I drove mine around for some years before I got the carb fan working. While it seems like a very good idea, you'll live without it.

The smaller one from post 3 is stock for a '78 Cali-spec '40.

I installed the smaller fan on my '76 and it has helped to prevent the fuel in the carb from evaporating when the engine is hot. I would install it, if you are located in a warm/hot climate and you have the associated computer and sensor. If you don't have the existing computer/sensor, you can install an adjustable thermostat and it will work fine.

the 1978 one needs a bracket that was welded to the cowl so that it sucks cool air from outside (through the fins) - it bolts somewhere else too though honestly i could not figure it out so i only have mine bolted to the bracket.. pictures would be great!

I think it depends on what rig the 2F is in...and what other equipment is on the 2F.
Does that cooling fan even exist in the non-US market?
I think that fan was a band-aid type response by Toyota for the hot start problem they were having on the smog-controlled, air-conditioned late 70's bastardization of the original idea. I say that a bare-bones 2F, more like what Toyoda-San envisioned, has absolutely no need for an electrically powered under-hood fan to blow in the general direction of the carburetor.
Many 2F motors survive AND function in the wilds of cenCal without an underhood fan.

Here's a pic stolen from MUD or ebay?? Not mine!

I have one mounted with my power steering cooler zip tied to it. I just need to wire it up.
76 Carb Fan Mustard.jpg

Anyone notice the motor part of both style fans looks the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom