Carb fan sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was up to getting the carb fan going on my 1988 FJ62, I had an extra relay & the fan relay under drivers side cowl looked pretty ratty so I switched,, no go, then after a little digging on ih8 I found that an issue is the wire that attaches to the manifold heat sensor burning out,, & that if u hook that wire to ground the fan will run for about 20 min & shut off
So,, I put the wire to ground,, Utilizing the ring that was connected to sensor,,, (so I would assume it is not burnt out) & on key on&off fan goes for 32min,,
Glad that it’s working to that extent but my question is if the sensor is working,, would the fan turn on while driving?
Comments on other threads seem to be that the sensor rarely goes bad,,,and looks to be costly,, any other suggestions?
Thks in advance

4B4DEDDF-91F7-498F-AE3F-FBF3A4659F04.jpeg

On a 2F powered FJ60, the manifold fan turns on every time the engine shuts down and its a little warm. On a 3F-E powered FJ62, the fan almost never comes on even when the engine is hot. Its not really needed for the 3F-E but is important for the 2F because of the carburetor and hot-as-the-sun giant catalytic converter.

Non USA cruisers with 3F carbed engines without emissions equipment don't even have the fan or the vents in the fender.

Any reason you didn't connect it back to the sensor and have it function as designed? Sensor usually isn't the problem, its the wiring burning up.

Fan only turns on when vehicle is turned off.

My assumption was it was not working, since I have nev heard or seen it run,, mayb nev got hot enough? Have done drives this summer of 80 miles + on hot days, & as said I assume wire is fine,, if it works when attached to ground

You really shouldn't need it on the 3FE.

My assumption was it was not working, since I have nev heard or seen it run,, mayb nev got hot enough? Have done drives this summer of 80 miles + on hot days, & as said I assume wire is fine,, if it works when attached to ground

Connect it back to the sensor. What you’re doing is bypassing the effective functionality. The reason it turns on everytime is because ground the wire automatically turns the fan on everytime the key is turned off. Since it’s a 3fe, it will rarely if ever come on. It’s fine as is, but there’s no need for it to run everytime.

bypassing is more important for 2F’s as they need the fan to prevent vaporlock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom