Carb Fan is ALIVE!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pathfinder

I am the STIG
Threads
Ok I just thought I would share my joy with people who actually care. I mean I told my wife and she just looked at me with the who give a rats hinny!

Took the fan off the fender cleaned out the bee's nest took the burnt wire running to the manifold and grounded it on the air injection rail running from the smog pump to the exhaust air injection tube.

Turned on the truck ran it around and then shut her off and......

The quiet humm of a well designed carb fan doing it job. After 15-30 minutes came out side and it was shut off.

PS. Fixed my horn as well. now it works any time not just when I turn to the left. I took the steering wheel off and took the ring and put some tape behind it so it would come in contact with the brass thing and put is all back together and it worked great. now I can honk and humm (carb fan) any time I want :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

CHEERS!

i too had a similar problem with my horn a while back...

there's just nothing like the satisfaction of taking something that's inop. or broken, fixing it, and having perform as it should.

i'll celebrate with you vicariously...think i'll crack open a Newcastle.

Excellent! I also just "fixed" my carb fan and horn ring. Replaced the horn ring and added dielectric grease, now it doesn't sqeek when I turn the wheel. I also fixed the carb fan when I noticed a wire wasn't connected. I plugged it together and voila! it runs. I never knew how rewarding fixing something can be.

:beer: Chad

I'm not sure I understand, if the carb fan is just grounded to the rail and not running through the temp sensor under the manifold, how does it shut off?

there's a timer/relay box thing under the dash somewhere that only lets the fan run for a certain amount of time...

if this goes bad, your fan could stay on indefinitely thus killing your battery while you sleep.

So probably better to try and re-attach to sensor if possible? I just broke the wire going from my fan to the sensor. PIA to get at, but better than dead battery.

yep however mine shuts off just fine. It looks as though the wire has been broken for a while so its not had much use. If you see me posting for the cruiser assistance for a dead batt. than you know my computer went out as well. :)

ground that sucker

I've had my fan grounded to the fire wall since 2003, no problems yet. runs for 30 minutes then shuts off.:)

Is there a way to lessen the amount of time that the fan runs?

this might sound really dumb, but is the carb fan the black blower majiggy that's directly opposite the windshield washer reservoir? if so, it has never kicked on.

not killing the battery is good. but ideally, shouldn't it be operational? i've had overheating issues in the past, but i've never heard of the carb fan needing to be operational to keep temps down.

btw, i still need to fix my horn. i've been waiting for the local parts store to have their rental wheel puller returned. friggin' bozo needs to pull his damn wheel already! @#%!!

not killing the battery is good. but ideally, shouldn't it be operational? i've had overheating issues in the past, but i've never heard of the carb fan needing to be operational to keep temps down.

btw, i still need to fix my horn. i've been waiting for the local parts store to have their rental wheel puller returned. friggin' bozo needs to pull his damn wheel already! @#%!!

You do not need to have a puller to remove the wheel. Just loosen the bolt and enough to give some play then pull on the wheel with your hands and it will come loose just fine.

Carb Fan

I have put in a header and a Weber. I am finding that I am getting vapor lock after idling for a couple of minutes. The heat shield cannot mount to the header. Has anyone rigged up anything to blow air on the carb during idle?

What the sensor buys you, so to speak: shorter run time.
If the engine isn't real hot and or air temp is quite chilly to darn cold, fan runs for a few minutes....

Run time, from control box behind right kick panel , is not adustable perse; no control knob. maybe a circuit board level potentiometer . . .

Mine works: seldom runs more than 5 minutes,,,shuts off....if it's a really hot Florida day, it might come back on for a few more minutes...

Does anybody have a picture of this carb fan?

Is this it?

P3280012_web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom