1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CARB FAN IS ALIVE AGAIN!!! E-Z fix!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by ssgoods, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ssgoods

ssgoods

I have been having probs with my carb fan, so I decided to try and fix it. Here are the steps!

Unplug and unbolt it, take out the screws for the blower motor, get a can of electronic cleaner spray. On the bottom of the fan, there is a clear tube, take it off. Turn the entire assembly upside down. Spray the electronic cleaner into the hole where the tube was. While spraying it, turn the fan by hand, both ways. Periodically drain the excess spray by gently prying the inner gasket on the lip of the blower motor base. I found this out by it leaking anyhow, and what comes out is some extremely nasty stuff. Continue spraying and draining for 5 mins or so. Make sure that you use fast drying spray, and that you let it completely dry before plugging it back in. P.S. the bolt inside of the hood helper springs can be hard to get back on, so you might as well take the assist spring mount off in the beginning.

The end result in my case is great. I can't even hear the motor running, just the air being sucked and pushed into the engine bay. Let me know how this works for you all!

-Nick

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder I am the STIG

Is your fan hooked up to the manifold thermostat or is it just grounded. This is a fix that I have been wanting/'needing to do. My wire looks like it has been burt off.

Where did you get the electric cleaner? Could you use brake cleaner? That is a fast drying cleaner.

Thanks This has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now.

3. ssgoods

ssgoods

Mine is still hooked up to the thermostat. I got the electronic cleaner at autozone. It is made for terminals and plugs. I would definitely stick to it because it is made for electronics, rather than use the brake cleaner.
    The stuff at Autozone is some of the best because it doesn't leave any residue, I've been using it for years on guitars and amps. I also unplugged most everything under the hood, seperately of course, and sprayed them clean. The carb fan really does work good now though, it was quite noisy when it worked off and on before.

I imagine that this would help with the heater blowers just as well.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder I am the STIG

I will give it a whirl and let you know how it comes out. Thanks

5. 84yota4x4

84yota4x4

Thanks for the advise, I'll be trying that soon as well.

6. FLA60

FLA60

I've had mine disconnected for a year with no issues. I disconnected it because it always seemed to be on. I've thought of it somewhat akin to the appendix, not really needed.:grinpimp:

7. ssgoods

ssgoods

I have noticed that mine starts the same in the winter, rather the fan is on or not. In the summer, however it seems to make a rather large difference when warm starting.

8. Pathfinder

Pathfinder I am the STIG

Mine is not working and on Hot starts I really have to let the engine turn over alot till it decides to fire up. I think this is due to the gas boiling off in the carb. Also I have noticed that the engine once turned on after a running at opperating temp is pretty high on the temp guage till it has been started and given a chance to run a few minutes.

I want to get mine working.

9. ssgoods

ssgoods

You can also check it out of the car by taking it out and hooking it up to a 12 volt source, either your battery, or a portable jump starter. Just 1 wire to the red, and 1 wire to the black. That way, you can see if it is just your thermostat wire. If would probably be a good idea to clean it anyways, though.

10. BigGun J

BigGun J

Good suggestion, But I would suggest pulling the motor back out. Pull the stator out of the housing. There are felt swabs that need to be oiled to lube the bushings "non bearing motor". You cleaned all the brush and dust out and now you have continunity again. But the cleaner will dry out the felt pads and now you do not have any lubrication. If your brushes are worn down below about a 1/4 of an inch. Take one to a local hardware store and look in there bin and pick two that are as close to the outer diamiter. Cut lenth to about 3/4 of a inch. Light emmory the contact surface on the rotor, about 20 drops of 20 W oil on the pads. Reassembly and you are good to go fo good number of years.

Jim

11. CruisinFJ60

CruisinFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    i should get mine working again just cause its cool to have. reguardless of if it cools the carb or not. its a conversation peice.