carb fan conqued (1 Viewer)

Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
1,713
Location
Louisville, Kentucky
warm starts will be considerably more difficult
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,495
This subject is like arguing over which religion will get you to heaven faster. The carb fan is a USA emissions part. Supposedly, it gives the gas in the carb a chance at staying around and not evaporating. The excess heat was/is due to all the emission crap that has been dumped on it. I have removed every last bit of emission crap off my engine and the carb fan from the fender well. If you look at the foreign models of the fj60 there is no side vent on the front quarter panels. If you use the logic that carb fans and fender vents "cool" significantly, these foreign market 60's should overheat due to no fan or vent. Are you going to tell me that a foreign market fj60 in the hot desert runs crappy because there is not a carb fan, what a bunch of doo doo. I bet it was added to the American version just to squeak one more once of cleaner emissions out of the American 2f spaghetti monster.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
1,713
Location
Louisville, Kentucky
I had a problem with hot starts when I picked up the 60. The carb fan was disconnected. Plugged it back in and bam, no more hot start problems. Pretty definitive if you ask me.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,495
I would say you have three choices:

1.) all emission are intact and working; fix carb fan

2.) emission are for the most part there, some rusted out, vac hoses hooked up weird, etc...; this is a fork in the road, if your state requires testing... I'd fix everything and fan. if your state does not require testing fix just so you feel better about butterflies and kittens breathing fresh air.

3.) the engine is a mess from PO and no state testing; desmog it. good luck
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,082
Location
on stage
Website
www.barryhause.com
beaufort-fj60 said:
I have removed every last bit of emission crap off my engine and the carb fan from the fender well. QUOTE]

Has this significantly improved performance and/or mileage?

I'm considering going this road. Do you know of any literature which details the process step by step?
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
80
I desmogged my '84. JimC did the carb and dizzy and I followed the diagrams floating around on this site. I did keep the carb fan though. Last summer, the sensor wire broke on it so it wouldn't come on. I had issues with starting it after an hour or so (had to turn it over a few times and let the fuel pump do its thing). I have since hooked it back up, and my issues went away. Could be coincidence because it doesn't seem like it should help much with a header. If anything, I need more heat transfer to the intake manifold for cold mornings to warm it up faster.
 
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Messages
163
Location
Wenatchee, WA
I recently rebuild my 86' and had it totally desmogged along with a rebuild SOR non-usa carb, never ran better. But I have had issues with warm starts. It starts instantly cold, but warm it can take a time or two. I still have my carb fan, but it hasen't ran in the past 5 years and never thougt twice about it. But since reading this forum this could be my problem, so I'll have to get it running again and see what happens.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,495
ps40-2 said:
beaufort-fj60 said:
I have removed every last bit of emission crap off my engine and the carb fan from the fender well. QUOTE]

Has this significantly improved performance and/or mileage?

I'm considering going this road. Do you know of any literature which details the process step by step?



my goal was only to clean up the engine compartment. I could honestly say I never noticed any gains or losses in performance or mileage. There is a Jim c approved desmog diagram in the technical links section of this site. If you are interested in desmoging, compare and contrast that diagram and the emissions fsm.

also, I guess my fj60 is the only one that does not have a hard start problem... must just be lucky
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,082
Location
on stage
Website
www.barryhause.com
beaufort-fj60 said:
ps40-2 said:
my goal was only to clean up the engine compartment. I could honestly say I never noticed any gains or losses in performance or mileage. There is a Jim c approved desmog diagram in the technical links section of this site. If you are interested in desmoging, compare and contrast that diagram and the emissions fsm.

also, I guess my fj60 is the only one that does not have a hard start problem... must just be lucky

thanks. i must have the only other one that doesn't have this problem. if it weren't for my ignorance on the subject--and the fact that i noticed the absence of the fan sound after a year of hearing it--i might never have known the difference.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom