carb cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a guy needing a carb fan in the "wanted parts" section and it got me thinking. Was the carb fan only required with California emissions or were they standard on all cruisers? The year in question is my 10/76. Thanks, Matt.

Mine is a federal spec '78 and it has the carb cooling fan. It doesn't work yet, but it's there!

Carb fans started sometime in 76 I believe, I can't remember the month. I think once the were introduced they appeared with fed and cali emissions trucks.

I think :rolleyes:

It was originally designed as a high altitude supercharger, giving better fuel mixture ratios

dfmorse said:
It was originally designed as a high altitude supercharger, giving better fuel mixture ratios

:idea: why shiat.. I should hook it up to my BJ then.. damn things should came stock on diesels.. :doh:

Benson said:
Mine is a federal spec '78 and it has the carb cooling fan. It doesn't work yet, but it's there!

Check your fuse for this which is located in the cab under the dash. There is a fuse in a plastic housing. The fuse is probably blown and thus the carb fan doesn't work.

AndrewT

If you didn't originally have one and you want it to be stock there is a temp sensor, control box and some wiring. You could just make your own power toggle switch. Also if it didn't originally have a carb fan you'll need some way to fab it up to the vent. Or find someone parting and have them cut that piece out of the tub and weld it in.

Sounds like a pain. I figured it ran all the time. I don't have a cooling fan relay. It doesn't look like there ever was one. Mine is a 10/76.

It's not that bad.. Just mount it and hard wire it and it will run full time. Or just wire in a toggle and use it when needed on a hot day.

76 had the fan on the front of the inner fender near the radiator, that looked like grandmas old oscillator..................

Butch

Texican said:
76 had the fan on the front of the inner fender near the radiator, that looked like grandmas old oscillator..................

Butch

My 05/76 doesn't have the provision for one.

i'm a carb fan-but only because i can't afford efi right now.

what exactly does the carb fan do? i guy here put one on his 79 b/c the mechanic said it would help his vapor lock problem.

I have one off a California model 76 I did a V6 swap on, it was on the front fender......
My 76 Federal did not have one
Butch

The carb fan appeared with the '76 "thermonuclear reactor" exhaust manifold that was the forerunner of catalysts and was specific to California models. Apparently Toyota thought they were a good idea as they also appeared on later federal models w/o the CA manifold. I'm not sure when they first appeared, but it seems all '78s had them.

BTW, they don't do anything for "vapor lock".

They prevent the fuel from boiling out of your carb after you turn it off.

My '77 FJ55 has/had one, I took it off to fit my power steering pump. I think now I have to move it slightly to get it to fitback in. Has anyone else run into this? mine was also rigged up to run only when the ignition is on, still have to figure that one out... and my fuel boils out rather quickly...

nial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom