Carb choices

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BillNoy, Feb 24, 2007.

1. BillNoy

BillNoy

I found an 86 FJ60 that was all that the po said and more and I'll be picking it up Monday:grinpimp: .Cool. It has a Weber carb on it instead of the original. That was the only real mod made to the truck.I remember reading on posts that there are 2 sizes of these carbs available( or more?) . On the whole ,do the Webers do the job performance/economy wise or should I start shopping for a stock carb? The po says he never checked his milege so I'm just curious?
    Thanks

2. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

Most generally agree that the best carb choice for a 2f is a good operating oem. Thats not to say you can't be happy w/your Weber. However overall the Weber can be finicky to adjust/keep adjusted.

I ran a Rochester on my 2f for 20+ years & was very pleased w/everything except mpg. I switched to a Jim C. rebuild oem & experienced no loss in power AND mpg increase from hiway 9-11 to 13-16 depending on my foot. No matter how I babied the Rochester I NEVER got more than 10-11 mpg. Often much worse. I expect you would experience similar results with a good working oem carb. I will add that I also switched from a Delco to an oem dizzy at the same time.

Plenty in 'Search' on Jim C. as well as your subject.

Good luck

3. BillNoy

BillNoy

So the original is a Rochester? I assumed it was Toyota?
    Bill

4. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

No, the original is not a Rochester. Sorry if I was unclear. I was just giving an example that other than oem (your Weber) can run good but overall most including me, would steer you to a good rebuilt (Jim C. & others) oem carb. As good or better performance & almost always better mpg.

Thanks, John

5. cando john

cando john

I Ran The Rochester For A Couple Of Years Was Getting 11-15 Mpg Simi-desmoged" Gutted Air Pump " Egr Was Still In Play" Dui Dizzy And Thats With A 33" Tire And 4in. Lift ..........now I'm Running A 2bbl Holly Out Of A 87 Dodge Ram That Came With A 318cid .... I Like The Way It Pulls ....works Very Well Offroad.... Still Desmoged But Now There Is No Cat / Gutted Air Pump/ No Egr Every Thing Else Is Still Under The Hood Dui Dizzy Still Run The 33" Tires Not Watchen Mpg @this Time But Will Post Later...............john

6. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    The original is an Aisan carb. Same company that makes the gearbox,brake discs and a hell of a lot other parts on a cruiser.
    Folklore has it that a member of the Toyoda family owns it;)

Oh and I also think the original is the best if tuned right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.