Car won't start after being run hot in warm weather without a cool down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This only happens when i've driven the car on the freeway for several hours in hot weather. After i stop somewhere and try to restart, nothing, no starter motor sound or anything. After giving it 10-20 minutes to cool down it'll restart just fine. For reference i do have the TRD supercharger.

I don't know if it's related but on cold start up i have some idle unevenness where the rpm's are jumping up an down a bit. I recently had a tune up where in addition to the normal work they replaced some hoses that were causing vacuum leaks. Prior to the tune up i had a more extreme version of the same problem, car just didn't want to hold a steady idle. After the tune up it was perfect, now (couple thousand miles later) i've got a very minor version of the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Fusible links. My $.02

Someone i know suggest it might be the starter solenoid, he said its separate from the starter motor on our cars and unshielded.

I would guess starter solenoid also. Does the starter make any click noise when the key is turned to starter position? The way old school to get it to work was to have someone turn the key to the starter position, and another person has to crawl under the car and hit the solenoid with a hammer/wrench to free it up inside. The solenoid for the starter is the small round thing that the big red wire from the battery bolts onto at the starter motor. They are not separate like they were on some older American trucks.

It may be the contacts inside the solenoid are getting bad. A common problem once they get lots of miles on them. Mr T sells the rebuild kit for the solenoid. Look in the FAQ section for detailed pictures and write up. I replaced mine and got another 1.5 years out of the starter, then ended up buying a complete starter from Mr. T.

The first think I would do for an idle problem is clean the Throttle body out. But most everyone with our trucks have the same common problem of the idle moving slightly around with a random miss.

Exactly what my 92' did before compelte failure.... Fusible links, and get a spare set....

I have a 91 and experience the same. I've replaced my fusible links to no avail. The EFI relay does not fit the bill as the issue (CEL always illuminates.) I'm looking at the starter, now, too. I actually have a rebuilt one ready to swap. Hopefully I'll get it done this week and can report back.
-Derek

Nope no click no sound at all. The battery and connections are just fine. The fusible links might be worth trying as they're cheap. I had my starter replaced a few years back with a non oe unit, sounds like that maybe the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom