car starts goes up to 1k rpm and dies any ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rvp

Threads
today is smog day, i went to the smog test the mechanic said my C0 readings were too high and said he’d adjust them a few hours later my vehicle starts up and cuts off i can give it gas but it still cuts out. any ideas on how i can move this thing out of the autozone parking lot? the vehicle ran fine prior to today’s smog adjustment. thanks

today is smog day, i went to the smog test the mechanic said my C0 readings were too high and said he’d adjust them a few hours later my vehicle starts up and cuts off i can give it gas but it still cuts out. any ideas on how i can move this thing out of the autozone parking lot? the vehicle ran fine prior to today’s smog adjustment. thanks
1992 3fe engine

Tell him to undo whatever he did.

You don't "adjust" your smog readings.

You replace parts, and make sure all ports are clean

Then you dump in one just of "heet" in the tank and take it for a long drive to get it good and warmed up, then you test.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, what on earth did your mechanic do to "adjust" them is where I'd be starting.

He may have adjusted the distributor/timing. I would assume he would have set it back? Check to make sure that 12mm bolt that locks it into position is tight. Ask the guy what he adjusted first of course.
It also sounds like potentially an unconnected vacuum line. Make sure there are no disconnected hoses.

Reactions: Rvp

Then you dump in one just of "heart" in the tank and take it for a long drive to get it good and warmed up, then you test.
yeah that’s why threw me off when he said the C0 numbers are high and that the idle needs to be adjusted. and he did

Then you dump in one just of "heart" in the tank and take it for a long drive to get it good and warmed up, then you test.

yes it’s odd, i just came to the smog place he said he wanted to check to see if it would pass he stated the egr is fine (nox) and the “C0” is too high (gas) he said with these levels it won’t pass and that the idle is too high and requires adjusting. i said okay do your thing and it passed but after an hour of driving i went home and hit autozone and after that it didnt want to stay on

He may have adjusted the distributor/timing. I would assume he would have set it back? Check to make sure that 12mm bolt that locks it into position is tight. Ask the guy what he adjusted first of course.
It also sounds like potentially an unconnected vacuum line. Make sure there are no disconnected hoses.
thank you i’m on it

and that the idle is too high and requires adjusting.
You need to find out what this guy did.
There is no idle adjustment on a 3FE engine, so I assume he messed with something that shouldn't have been messed with.

You need to find out what this guy did.
There is no idle adjustment on a 3FE engine, so I assume he messed with something that shouldn't have been messed with.

I’ll be calling on monday, i messed with the throttle cable jam nuts and i was able to keep it on. although it stays on and idles like crap.

Sounds like one of those mechanics that will pass the car if you pay them to "fix" whatever problem they come up with. Theres a mechanic near me that will basically pass anything that way.

[/QUOTE]

Then you dump in one just of "heet" in the tank and take it for a long drive to get it good and warmed up, then you test.

Basic Heet yellow bottle ?
Thanks

[/QUOTE]
Yes, the Basic bottle of Heet. Make it two. It will absorb any water and it lowers the hydrocarbons because it is basically alcohol.

Sounds like one of those mechanics that will pass the car if you pay them to "fix" whatever problem they come up with. Theres a mechanic near me that will basically pass anything that way.
I don’t know a thing about SMOG testing and all that, but this is what I was leaning towards. Tamper with something and little while down the road he’ll have a return customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom