Builds Car souq pickup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to reprise, I repaired the sagging vinyl on mine and was about to clean the scratches out with Novus when on a whim I found the one above on eBay. It was in Russia but, hey; nothing ventured; nothing gained.

There is a small crack in the one that came with my 75 as well. For comparison:

6F75DFE3-79D2-439A-B126-B265C88BB40E.jpeg

Just got back to the US and opened about 15 various boxes containing new and used parts for the 55, 75, and the 80. This one took months to arrive and I had almost forgotten about it.

From Russia with love:

View attachment 2649727

View attachment 2649728
That's super cool. Never seen one like that. Do you mind sharing how much that set you back? And how are you going to deal with the front/rear tank switch and indicator? Have you found an instrument cluster that has both gauges that will work on your pickup?

That's super cool. Never seen one like that. Do you mind sharing how much that set you back? And how are you going to deal with the front/rear tank switch and indicator? Have you found an instrument cluster that has both gauges that will work on your pickup?
John apologies if I confused you. The pic above is in my pickup. This is the standard "non subtank cluster" so it's a direct replacement. Cost me something like $225 shipped IIRC. The one in the pickup works perfectly but the plastic facia has a small crack and is very scratched. Novus would likely get the scratches out but the crack would still be there. The one from Russia looks like NOS. Not a blemish on it anywhere.

Last edited:
John apologies if I confused you. The pic above is in my pickup. This is the standard "non subtank cluster" so it's a direct replacement. Cost me something like $225 shipped IIRC. The one in the pickup works perfectly but the plastic facia has a small crack and is very scratched. Novus would likely get the scratches out but the crack would still be there. The one from Russia looks like NOS. Not a blemish on it anywhere.
Your pickup came without a second tank? I've not seen that in any of the pickups in the UAE--I thought it was standard equipment. (I've actually got a problem with our 1991 Diesel fuel tank switch which now that it is warm I am going to crawl under and try to solve.)

Your pickup came without a second tank? I've not seen that in any of the pickups in the UAE--I thought it was standard equipment. (I've actually got a problem with our 1991 Diesel fuel tank switch which now that it is warm I am going to crawl under and try to solve.)
Yes it came without a second tank. Most of the ones I see in KSA have a second tank but I do see a few without. That's why I didn't have a bed mounted spare; it's mounted underneath......if you've been following along. ;)

Yes it came without a second tank. Most of the ones I see in KSA have a second tank but I do see a few without. That's why I didn't have a bed mounted spare; it's mounted underneath......if you've been following along. ;)
I certainly have been following along but it has been bittersweet because your truck is so nice and everything you've done looks so good that my 'projects' suffer badly by comparison. I sometimes don't even want to look because I know it will be something I ought to be doing myself. :confused:

I certainly have been following along but it has been bittersweet because your truck is so nice and everything you've done looks so good that my 'projects' suffer badly by comparison. I sometimes don't even want to look because I know it will be something I ought to be doing myself. :confused:
I differ in opinion from @John Young... I love seeing an alert from your thread.... it is motivational, inspirational and pushes me to do more in reading your posts!

I've not seen that in any of the pickups in the UAE
Dual tanks were optional in Australia in the 75 series until 1995 when they become standard

The Bedouin Beast got a new stablemate today. 1983 FJ45 with factory A/C and PS. No heat. All original interior. Exterior was repainted a few months back. 126k Kilometers on the odo. Has a few issues, like no door weather-stripping - anywhere but it drives pretty well.

F238CBFA-6E94-4F6D-854F-DC41D3F80756.jpeg

ADBF7777-6C03-437A-B5A1-09B6DA7FB313.jpeg

2559C63E-D2AD-4CDD-8D52-143B94E55A08.jpeg

7EFF1C81-D127-48F3-9ACA-6FB8D0581D2D.jpeg

Oh, very nice WDE! I've liked that body style on the 40 for quite some time. Are the front seat covers a little shiney with no holes? It looks identical to what came on Golden Boy. Kinda sweaty when it is hot!

Oh, very nice WDE! I've liked that body style on the 40 for quite some time. Are the front seat covers a little shiney with no holes? It looks identical to what came on Golden Boy. Kinda sweaty when it is hot!
Those aren’t covers… they are the OEM seats. Love the pattern so much.

Absolutely gorgeous day in Riyadh: 71F, blue skies and no dust. Installed a set of NOS seatbelts and a new emergency brake cover. My seatbelts were OKish but the driver's female end sheath has seen better days. I repaired it, or tried to as it only lasted a few months. I really love new parts that you touch all the time: lock cylinders, turn signal assembly, seatbelts, steering wheels, and of course shifter knobs.

I have to give @OGBeno credit for the E brake cover. He posted a part number for a later model 70 series that was backward compatible. Otherwise I never would have found one (short of a NOS one). It's exactly like my original one (without the repaired holes of course).

Out with the old and in with the new.

2AC027BE-2F1F-431F-9766-0DB14059C28E.jpeg

832ED624-627F-4FB1-AD69-C6C67B7A8D94.jpeg

8D59C079-AAA1-413F-8ADC-188FB4B2A31D.jpeg

Already posted in the 40 section but thought I would update here as well. Both the 75 and the Troopy left Jeddah earlier this week. ETA Jacksonville mid June. Photos from them going into the port. Troopy export was pretty straightforward since it was registered to me. Pickup was a little more complicated as it had to be exported (“sold”) to me for delivery in the US. Non-Saudis cannot own commercial vehicles and a pickup is considered a commercial vehicle. We got it worked out though.

3FEB0567-2C2E-48A3-A02F-C18B5EF943C6.jpeg

DEB8CE2F-A1D2-48C1-A499-BD5074B084E0.jpeg

Does this mean you are leaving the KSA, WDE? Or just freeing up space for another project....

That visit to the Saudi 40 series collector you posted about was really something else!

Does this mean you are leaving the KSA, WDE? Or just freeing up space for another project....

That visit to the Saudi 40 series collector you posted about was really something else!
Leaving in May. It’s been a good 4 years but time to shift gears.

Indeed, my new friend is quite special. I will definitely stay in touch with him and his family.

Last edited:
Picked up the "Beast" and the Troopy yesterday in Jacksonville. 12 hour roundtrip from Auburn. Thankfully traffic was light. I am so glad to have these two here! I dropped them off at a depot in Riyadh in late March so it's been a long journey. Going today to see if I can get them both titled and tagged.

1656505950180.png

Picked up the "Beast" and the Troopy yesterday in Jacksonville. 12 hour roundtrip from Auburn. Thankfully traffic was light. I am so glad to have these two here! I dropped them off at a depot in Riyadh in late March so it's been a long journey. Going today to see if I can get them both titled and tagged.

View attachment 3045739
Congratulations! A pair of beauties!

View attachment 3045739

Congrats on getting them home. Funny to say perhaps, but I didn't really feel completely settled until the Land Cruisers had been delivered.

Congrats on getting them home. Funny to say perhaps, but I didn't really feel completely settled until the Land Cruisers had been delivered.
Nothing funny at all about that. I wasn't convinced I was going to get the pickup out of Saudi until I received the notification that it shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom