Builds Car souq pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the spare cover. Do they come in different colors? Is it a Toyota accessory? Aftermarket?
They do come in different colors but predominantly silver and beige. I think that one is a Toyota accessory but not positive. I bought it from someone in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia off ebay. I'll see if I can find some similar links. I actually had it shipped to the US because it was already set up for international shipping and I was too lazy to try to change to in Kingdom delivery.

I took a quick look and here is a black one from the same dealer:

FJ40, FJ70,FZJ70 Land cruiser spare tire cover, 16” | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/FJ40-FJ70-FZJ70-Land-cruiser-spare-tire-cover-16/392982772847?_trkparms=aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.DISCCARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200220090753%26meid%3D5ebf7bec5c974246b25cd79399c99ec9%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D392982775095%26itm%3D392982772847%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDiscOrganicBase&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

@coldtaco here is one identical to mine, again, from the same dealer. Shipping was pretty fast to the US:

Last edited:
My immediate reaction to all this was--
1611517962848.png

But I went out and looked and Golden Boy also has a hump!
1611518068551.png

The plastic trim came off just to the right of the pintle hook. I've still got it. One more little task....

Last edited:
My immediate reaction to all this was--
View attachment 2563746
But I went out and looked, and Golden Boy also has a hump!
View attachment 2563747
The plastic trim came off just to the right of the pintle hook. I've still got it. One more little task....
I just tell the Jeep guys that there was a rear mounted machine gun there when it was driven by SEAL Team 6. They seem highly impressed. 😀

That there is a hump....

1611553412854.png

1611553429240.png

Monty Python and Holy Grail quote ... Well, let's call it a draw.

Hey, @WarDamnEagle -- your spirit brother helped me yesterday. I have had a squirrel over population issue lately, with them nesting in engine bays and chewing on wires. Been taking a few out here and there, but they are pretty smart. Anyway, we had a Bald Eagle on the property yesterday for the first time to my knowledge and he took out one of the tree rats!

Much like that Eagle, you are welcome at my home anytime. I will even put some grill marks on the protein for ya!

Cheers,

Monty Python and Holy Grail quote ... Well, let's call it a draw.

Hey, @WarDamnEagle -- your spirit brother helped me yesterday. I have had a squirrel over population issue lately, with them nesting in engine bays and chewing on wires. Been taking a few out here and there, but they are pretty smart. Anyway, we had a Bald Eagle on the property yesterday for the first time to my knowledge and he took out one of the tree rats!

Much like that Eagle, you are welcome at my home anytime. I will even put some grill marks on the protein for ya!

Cheers,
OK; draw it is! Excellent movie btw. :cheers:

Monty Python's 'You're No Fun Anymore"

Jump to 2:05

Interviewer: Well, now tell me, what do you do when you spot a camel?
Spotter: Er, I take its number.
Interviewer: Camels don’t have numbers.
Spotter: Ah, well you’ve got to know where to look. Er, they’re on the side of the engine above the piston box.
Interviewer: What?
Spotter: Ah – of course you’ve got to make sure it’s not a dromedary. ‘Cos if it’s a dromedary it goes in the dromedary book.
Interviewer: Well how do you tell if it’s a dromedary?
Spotter: Ah well, a dromedary has one hump and a camel has a refreshment car, buffet, and ticket collector.

Fits well. I need to buy another zipper to put on the inside of the pocket so that I can put the cover on the tire and still access the rim. That cover is rather difficult to pull over the top and push down behind the tire when the tire is bucked down tight. :princess: said no problem if I find the zipper.

F6220F82-B1E6-444B-B328-C2B39D0438BE.jpeg

Fits well. I need to buy another zipper to put on the inside of the pocket so that I can put the cover on the tire and still access the rim. That cover is rather difficult to pull over the top and push down behind the tire when the tire is bucked down tight. :princess: said no problem if I find the zipper.

View attachment 2583060
Those covers fit in such a way that you hope you never need to remove them. 😀

Those covers fit in such a way that you hope you never need to remove them. 😀
My colleague orders custom products from them all the time. I'm going to ask him to get them to put another zipper across the middle of the back (on the inside of the pocket). I'm not sure my wife can get one in there with the pocket on. Considering that one cost me a grand total of ~$28, I can't imagine it will break the bank to get another zipper. And they custom fabricate to order so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Be able to easily access the valve stem would be a useful mod.
With a zipper across the middle of the back of the pocket the valve stem should be easy to access if you make sure it's on the right or left side of the tire when you put the cover on. Good suggestion.

With a zipper across the middle of the back of the pocket the valve stem should be easy to access if you make sure it's on the right or left side of the tire when you put the cover on. Good suggestion.
I know a lot of pickup truck owners take the spare tire that’s mounted under the rear bed and flip it so the valve stem is pointed up thus not subject to road debris. As a result the air pressure is seldom checked and a large number of these spare tires are actually flat and useless. 😀

Finally got around to dealing with the temperature sending unit and the temperature switch. So sending unit now has a new connector (installed new sender a few months ago). I used a connector with a pigtail and spliced it in with crimp connectors with heatshrink tubing. I had hoped to just slip the terminal out of the old broken connector and slip it into a new connector housing but I couldn't get the terminal out of the old, broken connector. I also replaced the broken temperature switch and spliced in a new connector there as well.

What an absolute tight spot to try to work in by the way. If any of you ever undertake this job wait until you change the oil and can do it with the oil filter removed. That would have opened up enough space to actually get your hands in there.

Unfortunately I still don't have a temperature reading. Not the end of the world; I mean what can go wrong driving in the desert with no engine temp? :rolleyes:

Went online and ordered a new temperature/fuel level gauge from the local KSA Toyota dealer. Not sure I will bother to install it anytime soon but at least I was able to get one.

Had a little dust storm so to speak blow through. I have a cool video that someone shot out in the desert but I don't seem to be smart enough to post it.

Looks worse in person.

5A468CF9-89E3-4DA2-B1A0-E674381D277F.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got back to the US and opened about 15 various boxes containing new and used parts for the 55, 75, and the 80. This one took months to arrive and I had almost forgotten about it.

From Russia with love:

347B6CD8-37A0-4485-8841-F21538ECC565.jpeg

006DF0A0-EEE7-4C1F-9EEA-EE7DF4A7DB2F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom