Builds Car souq pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@John Young, the top of the shock is supposed to go through either those holes or the slot and the shock comes in front of the skirt. I'll see if I have a photo to post. You basically pierce it at that point and work out in both directions.......not that it won't work the way you have it but I think it keeps the shock from rubbing through the skirt.

Edit: Already there. Look closely at the photo in post 91 and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thank you WDE. I'm having a little trouble visualizing even with the help of the photo in post 91 and I want to give the photos to the guys at the garage. Next time you are with your truck would you mind taking a couple more photos please?

I occasionally see a 79 series with a custom desert camping set up on the back. I never got close enough to one to inspect it in person but after looking at this video I’m tempted to explore them a bit further. Warning, it’s not a Toyota.

Masha’Allah! Do it!

Just ordered mine. I paid 85 AED and 100 AED, or $23.14 and $27.23, coming in from Oman. Sometimes I get a 10 USD delivery charge--in this case I had a set of four shocks coming at the same time for 600 AED or $164, so no extra delivery charge. I have not used partsouq before kind of on the assumption that they really were more focused on international sales, but maybe I should look at that again. Does it cost much for you for delivery to KSA?

Your parts guy locally will always be cheaper than Partsouq John...

My last Partsouq order was $497 in parts and $42 shipping. They usually have multiple shipping options with different prices. In addition I paid something like $60 in import duties. If you compare the prices to the dealership and the total pain of actually going to the dealership in Riyadh, there is no question that Partsouq is the way to go. Parts usually show up in 4 or 5 days.

The tires are fine in the dunes but you need to air down to something like 17 psi or so as the sidewalls are pretty stiff.

You need to find a third party parts guy there in Saudi like John has done in Dubai... the dealership will be more expensive than Partsouq... but Partsouq is more than the third party network. And no shipping/import charges.

The one cool thing about the actual dealerships in the Middle East... they can order any part from Japan, no market restriction. If Partsouq doesn’t have it or the third parties don’t have it, the dealership can get it. And a solid relationship with a parts counter guy will fetch your decent discounts actually.

Thank you WDE. I'm having a little trouble visualizing even with the help of the photo in post 91 and I want to give the photos to the guys at the garage. Next time you are with your truck would you mind taking a couple more photos please?

It will be hard to take off at this point and I'm not sure it can be done without taking it off but imagine sliding the skirt behind the shock and then inserting the fasteners. If you start with the fasteners on either side of the shock you will see that the top of the shock will need to go through the hole/slot in the skirt. I can see my entire shock behind the tire except for the top inch or two of the stem.

You need to find a third party parts guy there in Saudi like John has done in Dubai... the dealership will be more expensive than Partsouq... but Partsouq is more than the third party network. And no shipping/import charges.

The one cool thing about the actual dealerships in the Middle East... they can order any part from Japan, no market restriction. If Partsouq doesn’t have it or the third parties don’t have it, the dealership can get it. And a solid relationship with a parts counter guy will fetch your decent discounts actually.

I've been to a few of the third party places but have only found very small ones and they have spoken hardly any English. Need to ask around some more.

Last edited:
@John Young See if this photo gives you some clarity.

4ADE92FA-A9CE-4AC0-94FE-7C7B555D65B3.jpeg

So just a quick update. We flew to the US just after my last post above and have been stuck here ever since. Hopefully international flights will open soon and I can get my new floor mat installed in the Bedouin Beast. And get back to work in person.

In the meantime, the wife and I have been looking for property to build our retirement home on. She has decided she wants chickens and goats....and maybe a donkey and a camel. Not sure how serious she is but clearly your avg subdivision wasn’t going to work.

On a whim a few weeks ago we looked at a few acres with a house already built. Well, long story short, we couldn’t believe the quality of the house construction and quickly decided the layout would work well. It’s a bit larger than we might have built but I suppose that’s not the worst problem to have.

As a bonus, the Beast will have a new home as well.

5FF5ADE2-F709-4DEA-AFEC-1DC0AB804666.jpeg

Congrats! What a great shop!

As for those goats, from experience I can tell you make their pen like Guantanamo Bay, but assume they will still get out. :rofl: Chickens are fine, they will put themselves in and out, Donkeys make good pets as well, as for the camel, well I can't help you there, we only have a horse.

Congrats! What a great shop!

As for those goats, from experience I can tell you make their pen like Guantanamo Bay, but assume they will still get out. :rofl: Chickens are fine, they will put themselves in and out, Donkeys make good pets as well, as for the camel, well I can't help you there, we only have a horse.
Most of the cattle ranches near me have donkeys for predator control. :)

My neighbor has Camels, Donkeys, and Zebras. All but the Zebra let us feed and pet them through our fence. It's like a free petty zoo for us
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0847.jpeg

Most of the cattle ranches near me have donkeys for predator control. :)

I’ll be a little closer to your area when I retire. New house and shop is a couple miles outside the Auburn city limits.

My neighbor has Camels, Donkeys, and Zebras. All but the Zebra let us feed and pet them through our fence. It's like a free petty zoo for us

That‘s pretty cool. How much acreage does he have under fence for them?

I’ll be a little closer to your area when I retire. New house and shop is a couple miles outside the Auburn city limits.
I think that puts you approximately 2-2.5 hours away. I would love to see your pickup.

That‘s pretty cool. How much acreage does he have under fence for them?
I have heard its 1500 but I don't know for sure. They used to have Buffalo also but I haven't seen them around in over a year. They were friendly as well.

I think that puts you approximately 2-2.5 hours away. I would love to see your pickup.

The plan is to import the pickup with our household effects when we repatriate in 2 years or so. I might import it earlier if an opportunity arises but I might be able to skirt the chicken tax if it comes home with me.

Last edited:
I have heard its 1500 but I don't know for sure. They used to have Buffalo also but I haven't seen them around in over a year. They were friendly as well.
Nice. One of my cousins had several buffalo for a while and they were very friendly. Big animals though.

Well three negative Covid 19 tests, including one in Dubai, special permission from the government and a charter flight later I am back in the magic Kingdom. It's 10 am and 101 degrees.....heading up to 109 this afternoon. There's no humidity; unlike Dubai where it's 100+ and very humid this time of year; no thanks.

I brought a few things back with me for the 75. Thanks to @joekatana for a brand new owner's manual! I took the packaging off this morning and had no idea when I bought it that it was printed in English and Arabic. I assume it is an original GCC owner's manual. Looks quite at home in the glove box.

Also decided to remove my seats and the old floor liner this morning before the temps topped 100. Thanks to @Onur I have a brand new front liner that appears to match the old one perfectly including the color. That's somewhat important as the 75 pickup has a roughly foot wide strip that goes under the seat which I don't have a placement for. Old one is in fine condition though so no problem.

What is somewhat of a problem is the factory sound deadener in both footwells. When I removed the old liner it literally looked like someone had poured about a half cup of 30 weight on both sides. Clearly the factory stuff is asphalt based and with the extreme temps and age I suppose it eventually oozes this stuff out. If I was in the US and had access to some damplifier pro or something similar I would remove all of the factory stuff and replace it with that. For now I think I will clean it up best I can and tape some plastic down to keep the jute on the new liner oil free.

Here's a few pics of the old. Will take some of everything installed after I get it all cleaned up and back in.

9B9D1C0D-B97D-4236-B46A-5980CFB48695.jpeg

6E933C15-A049-4DF8-B325-87A6D2CA2621.jpeg

14BA3B20-E88A-4B65-B9B3-BD7654B4112B.jpeg

8555326B-8C25-4237-8EF0-8ADCDE870D6C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom