Car slides on the highway when braking, what could it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hadji,
Dont take Doug the wrong way, He is right.

Well kind of, You need to figure out what is the pull immediately, Not this weekend, you need to figure it out before you drive the truck again. You stated you have an out of spec rotor, get it changed out. If you have more time than money then order the rebuild kits, but at $50 per caliper I figured it was worth the extra money to just order the calipers complete.
At the very least you need to get both the rotors machined to where they match. while you have it apart check the calipers and make sure that all ofthe pistons engage.
Dave

after brake changes its not unheard of for the caliper bolt/bolts to fall out:eek: if one does not use thread locker on the caliper bolts:frown: i know its sucks,scary check them out. it even happends on the 62:crybaby: dont ask me how i know:beer: keep us updated edit not if you just change pads

geeze, timing could not be worse. I just moved to a new place and am in that time period where i spent a bunch of money getting settled but still have to wait a week longer for that first paycheck.

And since I moved I don't have a garage with all my tools and workbench to save me some money. Honestly though, since I don't know anyone here and I HAVE to goto work, i'm definately going to be driving it until the weekend.

And as far as the whole being blunt thing goes, as long as its truthful I dont care. I dont like having to read between the lines.

geeze, timing could not be worse. I just moved to a new place and am in that time period where i spent a bunch of money getting settled but still have to wait a week longer for that first paycheck.

And since I moved I don't have a garage with all my tools and workbench to save me some money. Honestly though, since I don't know anyone here and I HAVE to goto work, i'm definately going to be driving it until the weekend.

And as far as the whole being blunt thing goes, as long as its truthful I dont care. I dont like having to read between the lines.
:beer:

Have you checked with the Lone Star Land Cruisers, or the Texas Land Cruiser Club? Try posting up in their forums (check the main Mud page for links). There are likely local cruiser-heads that would be happy to lend a hand/wrench. :)

i am now in contact with one of them from the tlcc so i should be alright.

We got him covered and he will be at our 80 series tech session on the 28th.

Buck Buchanan

could it be my ball joints?

not likley...as cruisers dont have ball joints :D

Clint-

oh :doh: :), whats the equivalent?

There's a thread (by Landtank?) that has good details on checking for wheel-bearing, trunnion-bearing, and tie-rod-end play.

Brake-calipers & rotors, as mentioned above, could also cause your symptoms.

Worn bushings can cause weird driving problems, too.

Best bet is to get-at-it with local cruiser-addicts, and get some experienced eyes & hands working with you. :)

i have those little valve caps that turn red when the tires are low, however i suppose one of those could be broken and saying that the tire is the right pressure, so i'll double check that.

is there a simple method to check for air in the brake lines? without taking anything apart.
First, do not trust those pressure sensing caps. They often leak and lead to flat tires, and they are seldom accurate.
Second, it may be that you have a sticky brake caliper. Each caliper on each wheel has a "slide" that allows the caliper to correct for pad wear. They must be lubed when replacing the pads.
Most shops pay the mechanic a set time to rebuild the brakes. A tech may cut corners by not re-lubing the slides if they are moving well at the time. Later the caliper can start to seize up, causing that wheel to brake harder then the rest. This makes it pull to one side and makes one set of pads wear faster than the rest.
This is most often a problem when dealing with a "brake shop" rather than having your brakes done by a properly qualified general technician.
As an old mechanic, I know that it is best to have one guy to take care of everything from floor mats to overhauls if you can't do it yourself. Shopping aroung for a "deal" on repairs will only get you shoddy work at a high price.
In the Mechanic business we know that if you need to advertise, you are not good enough! The best shops do not have to place ads. If you are looking at ads to get repairs done you are finding second-rate techs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom