Car shakes in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a new 100 and I love it. I can't say enough good things about it. One issue just surfaced today, when in reverse and going up hill the car begins to shake. It feels like the transmission is engaging fine, but then when I press on the gas the car is struggling to move. I can feel power train shake and shutter like something isn't catching quite right. There is no issue on flat ground, it seems to only be when the car is loaded and trying to roll forward, and the transmission is in reverse. No other issues with the transmission, everything shifts smoothly.

Just bought a new 100 and I love it. I can't say enough good things about it. One issue just surfaced today, when in reverse and going up hill the car begins to shake. It feels like the transmission is engaging fine, but then when I press on the gas the car is struggling to move. I can feel power train shake and shutter like something isn't catching quite right. There is no issue on flat ground, it seems to only be when the car is loaded and trying to roll forward, and the transmission is in reverse. No other issues with the transmission, everything shifts smoothly.
Check your engine and transmission mounts, might also check your emergency brake isn't binding in reverse.

I hadn't though of the E brake. This is very likely the culprit, as I cannot get the shaking, or possibly more accurately lurching, to happen with the break engaged. Is there a section in the service manual the may be of use? I am relatively new to these cars and, while mechanical inclined, I don't know if I could spot the issue without knowing what it is "supposed" to look like. Should I just replace the brake pads?

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Is this common? My worst fear is some sort of transmission issue, but I am feeling more and more like this is something different.

Just as an FYI to all future searchers/anyone following this topic. This ended up as a full transmission rebuild. The clutch discs for the reverse year were completely shot. Total cost: $2100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom