Car Paint -fix?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DenverCruiser, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

My vehicles all have some paint chips now and was wondering how to prep and fix them. I know you can get little paint matches and fix the little chips but what if there is a tiny amount of rust there? What do you do to prep it before you fix that tiny chip?

2. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I should have posted this some other day. There is no way I can compete with the cheerleader thread.

3. willmaxr

willmaxr

For the small chips I had that contained rust, one of my mechanics that works for me showeed me a neat trick. Cut a small piece of the fine grit paper you will use and put it on the end of an eraser. then gently rub the rust out. paint and clear coat. first time i ever did it so methodically, but it turned out pretty well for the small spots in front.

PS. also not sure if this is correct tech advice - maybe someone will chime in.

4. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

The best way to do the chip thing is to order one of those fiberglass tip pencils from Eastwood and use a motion with it just like you are lapping valves on a cylinder head (hold the pencil between your palms and alternate your hands rapidly back and forth, one hand forward, one had backward while keeping the tip EXACTLY on the chipped spot). The fiberglass tip scours the spot smooth, removes rust and whatever else is there and gives a great grip for the future paint process. HTH. :cheers:

5. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Wal-Mart sells those fiberglass pens. Best thing is to prep with one of those, put on a dab of primer, base, and then clear it. Colorsand with 1000, 1500, then 2000 and buff. Done right it looks very good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.