Car doesn't shut off when key turned to off position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time this happened was yesterday. When I went to shut off the vehicle by turning the ignition to the off position the car stayed running as if I had not turned the key. I was hoping someone could advise if it is a back lock cylinder or just the ignition switch I should replace. I only ask because the cylinder is like $200 and the switch is $25. Hate buying both parts only to have to return one. I know I have a warn lock cylinder because I can take the key out while in the run position but that isn't a big deal to me just need to be able to shut off the engine so hoping it is just the switch. Please advise. 1978 FJ55

Same thing happened to me, replacing the switch fixed it. 👍

The actual switch is a very easy job, at least on my '40. My cylinder is also worn and I can remove the key while the engine is running.

Could be the idle shutoff solenoid too. You might just try giving the solenoid 12V with the truck off and see if you can hear it clicking. If not, it might be keeping the idle circuit open and the truck running, even after the key is off. Easier than pulling the steering column apart.

Solenoid is powered up from the coil, hard for it to run if the coil doesn’t have 12v.

Solenoid is powered up from the coil, hard for it to run if the coil doesn’t have 12v.
Right, but if the solenoid isn't closing the idle circuit when the key is switched off, the engine will keep running. At least, it does on the earlier points-style ignition. Not sure if the electronic ignition on his '78 will keep firing after the key is off if the engine doesn't want to stop.

In any case, adding/removing 12V to the solenoid with the engine not running should produce a click as the solenoid opens/closes the idle circuit.

Just another thing to check if it turns out it isn't the ignition switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom