Car Computer & Laptop Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.holdmypic.com
G'day Mates (Gals included),

Firstly tried searching and only come up with really old threads, surely others have attempted this by now. And if I've missed a thread that you know of please post a link for me :)

Interested in putting a double din touch screen, that can handle a car computer or carputer that some call it.

The car computer I want to run android software which also can handle ODBII car software aswell (but not sure of the PC version of this, as being a different chipset, not everything works)
So possibly XP (or dual boot) and run software from MP3car.com which I've done extensive research before the android came out.

I've seen some dedicated 12V autostart with ignition etc through google etc, Not sure I'm to happy with any touch screens as yet.
Looking for one that can handle radio, dvd's, reversing camera with switch and ultimately run computer config regardless whether the radio or reversing camera is on or not.
Has anyone seen anything like this?

If anyone has got a setup done, can you please post pics and details of what you have done and got.

Secondly I have a HP 2133 10inch notwbook or netbook
HP 2133 Review - HP 2133 Sub-Notebook First Review | Ubergizmo

I havent't read the review, but you can see a pic here on what it is.
It's not the best laptop, so good to take on occasional use in the car when my samsung tablet just isn;t enough (i'm using right now) I also intend to run XP on this so it will be faster then windows 7 that is currently running on it.

Anyway it fits in the glovebox perfectly, so hopefully I will come up with a design that it will go into glovebox slide out for the passenger and also swing arounnd to the driver aswell if required. that way its hidden from prioring eyes aswell.

I don't mind if I have to remove the back of the glove box for hardware to handle this, as long as I can close the glove box for orginal look.

If anyone has any idea on what would work for this, or anyone has done anything similar, please post and let me know.

Thanks to all,
Can't wait to hear your replies,

Jas

I put a PC in my FJ-62 (double din): https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/421776-lc-1-wideband-o2-pc-install.html. It basically does everything you list. It also runs my 2FE's AFM to MAF conversion tuning software.

Can't help you with Andriod, I'm a dev at Microsoft :D. But I'm not sure why you'd need that if you just to run OBDII software. Just run XP or Win7.

That looks great, however not much on the pc side. And the link inside that thread says can't find. I do like the touch screen you are using, and I have thought of using centralfuse aswell from mp3car.com

Thanks for your input though.

Has anyone else done anything to there 80's

I installed an entire system in my brother's 80 in Jan. the whole process took about 2 nights to do as I ran new cables for speakers and amps.

list of parts:
-Lilliput double din screen with bracket (search ebay)
-Car-Pc case + power supply + slimline sata dvd drive from www(dot)mini-box(dot)com.au
-intel atom mobo with built in cpu + 4gb ram
-usb gps thinggy (ebay)
-30 m audio cable from jaycar
-front splits + spacers
-rear 6in coaxials + spacers
-two 12" subs
-2* amplifiers (response + option audio)
-rca cables for amps.

the whole setup is running centrafuse. the power supply turns on the amps and has an anti-thump feature. it also shuts down the pc when you turn the car off and turns it on automatically. the power supply and the mini-itx mobo fit inside the case so it's like an all in one setup with nothing really important sticking out. the case also has fans to keep it cool.

Centrafuse also has OBD2 function built in so I reckon you'll need to find some sort of usb to OBD 2 cable,

annoying problem I had was that the doors had to be cut up a little to fit the speakers. the aussie models only had speakers in the dash so I had to make space for them in the door and run the cables.

the screen takes hdmi, dvi, vga and reverse cam inputs and turns on and off by itself. lilliput are used by most car pc builders and when i did my research it came out on top.

all in all it was a good learning experience for me, although I don't think i'll do this to my own 80 since i'm happy with a simple head unit + sub+ speaker combo.

Lilliput with a doubledin adapter is what I have to. I upgraded to all of the anti-glare coatings possible, and it was worth the money.

For the machine itself there's no one way to go. You can spend a little or a lot. You can get an iPad kit or a full PC. You can use a micro ITX, a mini ITX, a laptop, an Apple cube... Heck a coworker of my used a full tower years ago (didn't work so well). There's no single "right way" to go about this.

The forums on MP3Car are the best place to get a sense of your options. There's also a couple of books you can get (Amazon or the equivalent). They are a little dated but do give a good overview of the issues (you need a 12 volt power supply or an inverter...)

Here's my install thread, im running centrafuse as well with an acer netbook in the glovebox.

Thanks to all that has contributed, I have checked out mp3car.com I have a single din liliport as the last car only had one slot, with a motorised screen, I want a double din now though.

Really interested in what people have done in their 80's, so if anyone else can supply pics on their screens and locations of pc, or netbooks, or anything else they have used, would be really helpful.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom