Car Alarm Questions: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friday I am going to have a security system put on my 60. I was wondering what route everyone was taking with their car alarms? From what I've read, a kill switch is a must. But how about electric locks? What are the safety feature of having electric locks over non-electric locks? Thoughts?

Landcruiserjunky

I have a viper 491xv on my 40 it does have a kill switch, so if someone breaks in they can't start it, i also boughth the backup battery so even if they disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the alarm will continue to go off. I installed a hood pin switch. I am working on power locks, i bought a kit from australia, then it ended up not working.:frown: Power locks is a must in my opinion. Good luck.

I bought and installed (myself) a cheap Taiwanese alarm system. No electric locks. Don't see why I need them.

No issues so far.

If they want it that bad they can have it. At least that's what my insurance policy says! Most alarms are so easy to disengage that its silly. Either you install a $1000+ system with monthly payments to monitor the system or leave it unlocked.
The stupid crooks will be detoured by a flashing light, but nothing's gonna hamper the master...

Well because on my 40, the door guts are so old, that while i drive the doors become unlocked on there own. It just makes life easier.

I've locked my keys n my cars a few times... Power v. manual depends on what the guts look like. I do know that often when you slimm jim a power door, the lock won't work anymore.:doh:

I opened a post on this but I had another post going, so before I confuse myself, my original post seems to have disappeared. This one may turn up a duplicate - sorry about that .......

Can anyone elaborate on what type of security systems you may use on a FJ62 that seem relatively fool proof, i.e. welding/locking a box around the starter with DC switch, a chain through front and rear rim, etc.

What works best for trips south of the border at places where theft is high?????? Any ideas?

alarms are to just get peoples attention. if they want your rig they will take it.
most people in the city areas hear car alarms so often that most of the time they go unnoticed. in fact i set off the alarm of a guy i worked with the other day getting an ipod outta his truck lots of people saw me do it and did nothing just meerly glanced over. when i clearly didnt have a key or anything else. I then walked inside handed him the ipod and told him alarms were worthless.

Now that being said i had one on my s-10 simply so if it went off there was the off chance i might hear it and be able to go outside and possibly stop it.

young kids and inexperienced people will generally walk away when the alarm ges off or run. a Pro will shut it down and disconect the siren and horn w/o and problems and before anyone is the wiser.

Good example, Go and watch "Gone In Sixty Seconds" good movie obviously fake however it demonstrates how easy it is if you know what you are doing.
a Porsche 930 is prolly one of the easiest cars to steal ever give me a screwdriver and a minute in one and i will have it running and driving. (i was a tech you learn things)

so are they worth it? - sure.
can it save money in the long run? - some insurance carries give discounts for alarms or flashing leds, and the possibility you might maybe scare someone away. so yes it can Possibly save money in the long run.

last thing i swear.

Also those of you with the GM HEI ignition (or a gm truck equiped with this) the ignition kill is worthless give dizzy power via some wire and an aligator clip from the battery and a power line to the starter and she will fire right up

Having been a car stereo intsaller in a past life I can tell you I have never heard of anyone having their car stolen that had the starter kill option installed. I refuse to live in a city so a car alarm going off isnt all that common. If you have the balls to try and jack my rig in my driveway you must be really fast or bullet proof.

19f2fe13.jpg

Parking my 60 in the driveway at night with my two Bullmastiffs sleeping nearby seems to take care of security concerns for me!! :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom