Car Alarm Keeps Going Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, to preface this thread, I bought my 2004 LC about 2 months ago now. Aside from the normal wear and tear of an older vehicle, it's been near perfect up until about 2 nights ago, when the alarm randomly went off. I ran outside to check on it, thinking the obvious - someone was trying to steal / get into it / etc... No one around. This happened 3-4 more times within a 1-2 hour period, but no more after that for the rest of the night. The same thing happened the next day at work - alarm went off ~5 times within a few hour period, but eventually stopped.

It should be mentioned that when I purchased the vehicle, I was given 2 non-Toyota factory keys (they appear to be the same shape, size, button cutout, etc). After doing some research, I found that a common problem with LC-100 alarms going off at random could be due to a possible low battery in the key fob. I was easily able to pop the back of the fob open, but it appears as though the internal fob piece itself is corroded beyond belief, not to mention that the previous owner stripped the hell out of the 2 micro screws that hold the battery compartment together, which REALLY pissed me off, because I couldn't even figure out WHAT TYPE of replacement battery to buy (for those of you thinking I'm an idiot at this point for not just Googling what kind of battery the fob requires, don't worry, I kicked myself later after realizing I could've done that; I was just highly.... frustrated at the time). So, during my lunch break, I went to a few shops around town to see if anyone could help me get the screws off. Long story short, finally went to a cell phone repair place, and they were able to get them off for me. I replaced the battery (1616), put the fob back together, and tightened the screws just enough to when/if I needed to get back to the battery, I wouldn't have to go somewhere, and could do it with my own micro screwdriver set.

After this entire grueling process, with a new battery in the fob, the alarm STILL went off multiple times. So fellow forum members, I'm at a loss for a solution, seeing as though I'm sure as hell not going to pay $300+ for a new Toyota brand fob, especially after the parts / service dept. told me that this "MIGHT fix my issue, but we can't guarantee it". $300 is ridiculous enough, but $300 for a 'maybe' is a big hell no from me...

Someone please tell me that there is a cheaper and more efficient solution out there for me!!

Much thanks,
Jack

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7220.JPG

Any possibility that the alarm issue is a water intrusion issue, and not a “fob” issue?

Bad windshield replacement?
Clogged sunroof drains?
By any chance raining when this occurred?

Any possibility that the alarm issue is a water intrusion issue, and not a “fob” issue?

Bad windshield replacement?
Clogged sunroof drains?
By any chance raining when this occurred?
No, mild weather all around. Clear night and overcast day when it happened. Sunroof clean. Haven't had to replace windshields since purchase, and were 'told' they were only a few months old.

How's the door switches? Are the dome lights working properly (without any bad connection in the door switches)? There are 5 of them. And then there's a plug in the bottom left corner of the tailgate (going to the switch in the lock mechanism) which has a habit of corroding. The fix is to strip off the foam in which it is wrapped, because it retains water, and then clean the contacts. That one was the culprit when I had the same symptoms as you describe. I just cleaned it, gave it wd40, and it's been holding up for years.

I highly recommend checking near the kick panel fuse box on the driver side. Lots of dealers install add-on shock sensors that go bad after so many years and start triggering the alarm for no good reason. There are other places to hide them but the installers seem to like that location for easy wiring access.

edit: shock sensor, not glass. Pic added.

C445B20A-2CB1-4646-97EA-3A1653C23FEB.jpeg

Last edited:
My 03 just did this at random. I was inside on the couch thinking "Who's alarm is that and why the hell aren't they turning it off??" Realized it was me. It's also 108 degrees today, so my door actuators have been acting up off and on when the temps are this hot. Thinking one got stuck and then locked or unlocked itself after I did it on the FOB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom