Capital Mall Crawl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow CLCCers. I know I am not very active in the club (but I'm there in spirit!). But I had an idea for a fun event we could do since we are the Capital LCC after all. Why not embrace the "mall crawler" misnomer and do a *real* Mall Crawl?

Mostly all I have is the idea, but the Park Service has some info on monuments on The National Mall. To stay on theme, maybe get some of those "diplomat" flags (looks like they're ~$5 - maybe a US flag and / or a Toyota or TEQ flag? If we go early-ish in the morning, we might be able to park at the mall.

I was thinking we could meet up do a caravan around the monuments, pose for some pictures. Maybe some goofy Mall Crawler tests like who can fit the most Costco toilet paper rolls in their vehicle, or something really Mall Crawl-technical like parking on grass somewhere. Of course, medals for everyone.

If there is anyplace remotely close to the city to do a little offroading (soft-roading?) we could hit that up after. Or just head to lunch (-:

Maybe do it Memorial Day weekend or something? It'd be pretty family-friendly, more of a low-barrier to participation social type thing.

What do you think?

I like this idea, but I feel most of the guys in the club are smart enough not to go to DC. Like ever! Lol. How can we make it sound like a good idea? Can we get it sponsored with free food and some kind of give away? Have your people contact my people and we can figure something out…

Really this sounds like it would have the potential to become a largish event. So far, the club has the swap meet and Fall Crawl. This would be a third large event. I would suggest either bringing this up at a club meeting in-person or PMing CLCC leadership with the idea to gauge potential interest.

That Lexus is really getting to you! Keep talking like this and you might be the first person to get kicked from the club, talking about mall crawling :flipoff2:

@DirtNap that sounds like a fun day with the family.

That Lexus is really getting to you! Keep talking like this and you might be the first person to get kicked from the club, talking about mall crawling :flipoff2:
“I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”
Groucho Marx.

The Mall and museum are deserted on New Years Day if that helps.

Some how something with the cherry blossoms would be cool... they were a gift from Japan just as the LC was a gift from the land of the rising sun as well. Problem is it will be a mad house in that area at that time.

It would be cool if TLCA would use their clout to set up an event along with Toyota NA to promote both the Cherry Blossoms and the brand. At least for a day event and such.

Some how something with the cherry blossoms would be cool... they were a gift from Japan just as the LC was a gift from the land of the rising sun as well. Problem is it will be a mad house in that area at that time.

It would be cool if TLCA would use their clout to set up an event along with Toyota NA to promote both the Cherry Blossoms and the brand. At least for a day event and such.
Great idea but no way in heck -- DC is a mob scene around the blossoms. It would be hard to pull off this quickly too.

But I have figured it out. Sunday July 31. Why? Well, the first land cruiser ("Toyota Jeep BJ") was released on August 1, 1951. It was surprisingly hard to track down the day. Ok, so why not 8/1? Well it's a weekday. Plus I rationalize that since Japan is 14 hours ahead, when it is 7/31 in D.C., it's actually 8/1 in Japan!

When is the swap meet usually held?

Great idea but no way in heck -- DC is a mob scene around the blossoms. It would be hard to pull off this quickly too.

But I have figured it out. Sunday July 31. Why? Well, the first land cruiser ("Toyota Jeep BJ") was released on August 1, 1951. It was surprisingly hard to track down the day. Ok, so why not 8/1? Well it's a weekday. Plus I rationalize that since Japan is 14 hours ahead, when it is 7/31 in D.C., it's actually 8/1 in Japan!

When is the swap meet usually held?
Nice idea but ill have to bow out of that date though... will just be getting back from a wheel of wheeling in CO ... and the 30th is my birthday so I am not allowed to have fun on that day it is promised to whatever the GF wants. I am guessing she will want to relax after spending 60 plus hours just driving back and forth to CO plus the trail riding for a week

Maybe something to ention to TCLA for next year maybe... its a cool premise at least

Wasn't the Nats stadium where there was a car show that some of us went to a for a couple years until COVID? Maybe @DominicanFZJ80 herded our group for it?
That was when Adam Eaton played right field for us. He was a car guy and he held a fundraiser for a couple of years running. It was pretty fun. @Tikicruiser got a signed bat. My daughter got a signed ball. Eaton is gone now, along with just about everyone else, so no car show. Doesn't mean we can't go to a game.

IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG

@JohnVee - Yeah it was at Nats Park

Appreciate the mention, alas it wasn't me who did the wrangling of fellow Cruiser owners. Have been waiting to see when this event resumes!

From the last event, July 2019:

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4226.JPG

Whenever I see Jeff's beige '77 @Tikicruiser it makes me feel all tingly.

Skipper admiring that truck. I think it’s a great idea. We started an informal Sunday cruiser fun day a while ago. We would meet somewhere and have lunch, hit a brewery etc and the idea was to rotate around the area. Then it died because we started golfing and just driving cruisers to the golf course.
image.jpg

His son was totally about to pick my truck then got distracted and picked Jeff's. Ah well. Those were fun times.

Also Rendon was a douche.

His son was totally about to pick my truck then got distracted and picked Jeff's. Ah well. Those were fun times.

Also Rendon was a douche.
Jeff’s truck has a cool roll cage and beige is almost tied with mustard for 40 colors. Do you have a hardtop for that mustard 40? I think the mustards look best with a hardtop for some reason.

This is actually the only photo of what it looked like in 2011 when I got it. I still have the hard top and a great set of newly painted dune beige doors. For sale too theoretically. I took them off the first summer and they have never been used. Second photo was my favorite, and first wheeling outing to Rausch No sliders so she was young and innocent.

4FF0F202-08AE-42D3-98B3-FDD6580428DA.jpeg

44A99DAC-F50C-4814-9E83-AC1BFA30971A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom