Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree that your rig is looking superb, well done.

I too am frustrated about not travelling and have had to cancel two booked weekends away, and our Botswana trip in September is hanging in the balance.

In the mean time, I have rearranged the side "kitchen" to make it easier to get pots and the kettle out. I also finally fitted a rear view camera for my replacement radio/headset. You can see the camera in the bumper below the right hand wheel bracket brace. The view when in reverse, which switches on automatically, is quite wide and very clear (excuse the mess in the garage!).

I am now in the process of fitting a solar panel bracket to the roof, with the option of sliding it out if we want to put the car in the shade for an extended period. Also adding a plate and breadboard holder in the kitchen.

Cheers, and stay safe. 😷

Radio and reverse camera s.jpg
Reverse camera s.jpg
Side kitchen.jpg

Hi. Not sure if I missed it somewhere, but did you change the plywood used in the rebuild? Is it 12mm marine ply? If so (or not), what did you use and where do you buy it?

Hi. Not sure if I missed it somewhere, but did you change the plywood used in the rebuild? Is it 12mm marine ply? If so (or not), what did you use and where do you buy it?
We used ply again for the second build. It is 12mm birch ply from Davidson's Boards. VERY strong, and the Birch has a more even colour and a much finer grain than the marine ply.

Hi Rodney!

We cut the old platform in half, welded in square tubing on the new edges, and covered them with carpet so that they will not squeek.

View attachment 2093674

Each platform got a second hinge.

View attachment 2093683

We added a small piece of aluminium angle in the middle of the bed platform for the two 'new' platforms to rest on.

View attachment 2093686

View attachment 2093693

I hope these are helping!
Alet
Hello Alet,

Please could you advise who did the cutting and welding in of the extra bars for the splitting of the back shelf? We have just returned from Botswana, and this is now our top priority change.

Regards,

Peter

Hello Alet,

Please could you advise who did the cutting and welding in of the extra bars for the splitting of the back shelf? We have just returned from Botswana, and this is now our top priority change.

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter!

Alu-Innovations did it for us. Give Leo Marais a call on 082 571 0349.

Sadly Alu-Innovations will no longer do them. Will have to make new plans :bang:
I can also see that it might be much easier to just make up two new platforms from some tubing. That way you can space the tubes better (or proper), put the hinges where you want them, and fix lights and straps on their proper positions right from the start.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the cutting myself and then just getting my local aluminium guy to weld in two cross bars. Interestingly, my "middle bars" run across the platform from left to right instead of your "back to front".

Ever consider a rear awning? This will get you some cover to use the back kitchen when weather is not great. Great build!!!

Ever consider a rear awning? This will get you some cover to use the back kitchen when weather is not great. Great build!!!
Thank you for the compliment! We have a 270° awning (also from Alu-cab) which pitches in seconds and provides good coverage over the cooking area. In the beginning I was not sure if I should get it, because it wasn't cheap, but after having the roof tent for about six months, we knew that an awning was essential.

20160630 121613.jpg

I would love to have sidewalls made up for the back part around the kitchen, but have to save up for that expense first. The idea is to have a bag similar to the shower tent, made up and installed in front of the shower tent, so that the sidewalls can be stored in there.

20191128_114523_LI.jpg

Awesome. Carry on!

Hi folks,

After the disappointment that Alu-Innovations would not split my rear shelf, I decided to tackle it myself. I removed the shelf from the car, cut the marine ply and carpet with my radial arm saw then used a jigsaw to cut through the tubing before taking it to my trusty tig welding guys who added in new pieces of aluminium bar on either sides of my cutting. All of this was done while still attached to the aluminium frame. I then spray painted the new bars to match the rest before I added two new hinges and re-installed it back into the Troopy. To support the middle of the two halves, I attached a "tongue" on the crosspiece of the main bed frame. I cut the existing cushion in two and re-upholstered the two cushions before re-installing them.

Shelf split 1.jpg

Shelf split 2.jpg

I decided on about a 60/40 split, with the smaller "half" above my fridge, leaving the larger 60% where we climb up and down. I have to say this is one of the BEST changes I have done to the Hercules pop-top tent. It is such a small change for such a big improvement of practical use. I highly recommend everyone does it.

Cheers, Peter

Love the build! I hope that 50' isn't in Celsius 🤒
It is Celsius 🤣 We live right on the edge of the Kalahari desert, but thankfully our house is next to the big Orange River with green vineyards right around us. Although it gets really hot in summer (aircons and water coolers running most of the day) we have the most amazing winters. We are also just 2 hours' drive from the Namibian border, which gives us easy access to some of the most awesome overlanding possibilities on the planet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom