Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, it's me again.

What tanks are you fitting and where (both on the car and by whom)?

I am having my Alu-Cab 270 awning fitted on Friday - can't wait.

Cheers,

Peter
Hi Peter!

Please make sure that they fit your awning high enough? Mine was fitted a bit low, and now catches when I open the small door. My husband is thinking of fitting longer brackets to the side of the car so that the awning can lift just an inch or so.

You are going to love the awning though! In the Kalahari we use it every weekend, because out here standing in the shade can come close to saving your life :cool:

Hi again, it's Rodney in Portland.

I re-read the thread from a few pages back and have a comment or three on the Alucab top after using it for the last year or so. I'd like to see if you are having the same or similar experience/thoughts/issues.

First, the small access door on the sleep surface has a quite sharp point that has now managed to make a very small (just noticed it) HOLE in the tent. Apparently this has happened during the normal opening and closing of the door rubbing against the tent. The hole isn't much larger than maybe a pencil lead or large needle and I noticed it because a small amount of light was shining though the tent material ("WTF is THAT? It's a HOLE"). Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering where I could get a small amount of tent material to cover the hole and what kind of glue (I guess) could be used to attach it. This is likely a question for Alucab. I will also need to glue some type of maybe foam to the point on the hatch door to cover the sharp point to keep it from happening again. If you "haven't" experienced this you might want to be on the lookout for it.

I do like the idea of splitting the hatch door so that you can enter/exit without waking the other person. It doesn't look like anyone has come up with the solution yet.? I need to follow up with Mookies as he said he had something sketched up.

I keep bedding stored in the tent. In the winter in Oregon it's cold so I keep a down comforter (Duvet), a sheet over the mattress and a couple of pillows. It's likely that Alucab makes the tent for warmer weather because I've noticed the top is very hard to close with the mentioned bedding in place. It's a very "tight" fit. Would another 1/4 to half an inch of space been a deal breaker for them?? Also, I think the cold weather affects the gas struts that hold the bed in the upright position because the bed itself has slammed down unexpectedly a couple of times. If that thing were to hit you in the head......anyone else experience this? I may need to install heavier struts.
Hi Rodney!

We do not have holes in our tent, but have noticed that the rubber on the sill (on which the bed lies) have perforated where the top corners of the access door comes down, so maybe mine is just sharp on another edge. Will have a look when I have my car back. We are having the access door split at the moment, because it became a pain in the head :rofl: for the "sleepy" partner... They are also fitting actuators which will open and close the tent from a switch inside the car, so that finally I will be able to do this job on my own. I am VERY concerned with the fact that your struts have caved :confused: in cold weather??? Something to take note of.

Alu-cab specifically told us not to leave our bedding at the top when we close the roof. We sleep in sleepingbags though, and they fit up top without a problem, but then again, it does not get N E A R L Y as cold here as in Portland :eek:

Another great addition going in is this nifty box kitchen by Alu Innovations.

It is called the 'Versabox' and will be available to self-install. They are fitting my induction stove plate to the drop-down table. I think I am most excited about this addition!!!

Stay well!
Alet

Oh yeah, I like that table a LOT.

Is Alu Inovations as separate company from Alu Cab? I think I was told they are a separate company started by a former associate of Alu Cab? Do you have contact info....I'd like to get on a list for a table. I have a table from Drop Down Tailgate Table - by Front Runner front runner. I was going to cut out the back for in-door storage but yours is a LOT better.

I have included a photo of the max trax table from Quick Pitch Trax-Table - Quick Pitch. I like the table a lot...easy to set up/store plus it holds the max trax. You can see the front runner table on the far right in the photo.

I recently installed a new rear bumper and am trying to figure out a way to mount the hi-lift behind the spare. Is your bumper a kaymar....I think they have a bracket.?

Where does Alu Cab propose to keep bedding?? Seems like a design flaw to me.

Please let me know if you'd rather I not hijack y our thread but I'm getting some good info so thanks!

Table 2.jpg

.........and I'm old. How do you get in and out of the back of your truck? I've been hauling around the small ladder you see in the photo. It works well enough but I'd like to attach something to the bumper or use the receiver hitch although I wouldn't want steps to hang below the hitch when not in use. Would need to fold up somehow.

Is Alu Inovations as separate company from Alu Cab? I think I was told they are a separate company started by a former associate of Alu Cab? Do you have contact info....I'd like to get on a list for a table. I have a table from Drop Down Tailgate Table - by Front Runner front runner. I was going to cut out the back for in-door storage but yours is a LOT better.

I have included a photo of the max trax table from Quick Pitch Trax-Table - Quick Pitch. I like the table a lot...easy to set up/store plus it holds the max trax. You can see the front runner table on the far right in the photo.

I recently installed a new rear bumper and am trying to figure out a way to mount the hi-lift behind the spare. Is your bumper a kaymar....I think they have a bracket.?

Please let me know if you'd rather I not hijack y our thread but I'm getting some good info so thanks!

View attachment 1961727
Yip, Cassiem and Leo - owners of Alu Innovations used to work for Alu-cab. In fact, I believe Cassiem was the original designer of the Hercules roof :D They have started a new company and are also in the process of redesigning the front of the roof tent to more closely follow the original line of the Troopy roof. @tmarx's car will be the first to receive this new roof and I can't wait to see the result! You can find them on Facebook.

We are also looking into a step for the rear bumper, and I haven't really come up with the right solution yet.

You are not hijacking at all! Share away :beer:

.........and I'm old. How do you get in and out of the back of your truck? I've been hauling around the small ladder you see in the photo. It works well enough but I'd like to attach something to the bumper or use the receiver hitch although I wouldn't want steps to hang below the hitch when not in use. Would need to fold up somehow.
I like this idea, but it needs some work...

So basically this guy has built a little step that folds back over the tow bar to form two steps getting up into the car.

View attachment 1961727

If you can get a hold of them I'd be in for a table/kitchen too. Maybe split shipping or something.

This works for me... it is the more reliable component from another vehicle (the side step)
890BB454-CE62-48DF-A9A2-F024AF456A09.jpeg
88EFA640-7945-486B-91E1-218C05F201A6.jpeg

There's a metal fabricator in Portland. I'm going to make contact and see if he can make something custom based upon the company in post 189. I like the idea......something that folds into the bumper.

I wouldn't be able to put a branded product like that on my Troopy. I never kissed my sister either. At least not on the mouth.

I will let you know if I come up with something.

Our travel buddies drive “one of those” vehicles... this is the most reliable component and is sure to be an interesting conversation piece 😄. Buying the step was an experience in itself! You can remove the rubber cover if you find it that offensive😇

I actually looked online and the only thing I see related was side running boards. I googled side step on the vehicle.

Our travel buddies drive “one of those” vehicles... this is the most reliable component and is sure to be an interesting conversation piece 😄. Buying the step was an experience in itself! You can remove the rubber cover if you find it that offensive😇
Removing the rubber cover is still not going to prevent the component from leaking oil though 😋

Yes that’s the one, just a mod to the arms depending on your bumper. There should be plenty used ones around from the defenders since they are removed when installing rock sliders on the landy... if you use a 10MF bolt to mount it you can get those with a 17mm head and 14mm nut, and you’ll feel right at home!

Yes that’s the one, just a mod to the arms depending on your bumper. There should be plenty used ones around from the defenders since they are removed when installing rock sliders on the landy... if you use a 10MF bolt to mount it you can get those with a 17mm head and 14mm nut, and you’ll feel right at home!
You may want to look at their rear step as well, it is different to the side step but it didn’t fit my bumper.

Hi Rodney!

We do not have holes in our tent, but have noticed that the rubber on the sill (on which the bed lies) have perforated where the top corners of the access door comes down, so maybe mine is just sharp on another edge. Will have a look when I have my car back. We are having the access door split at the moment, because it became a pain in the head :rofl: for the "sleepy" partner... They are also fitting actuators which will open and close the tent from a switch inside the car, so that finally I will be able to do this job on my own. I am VERY concerned with the fact that your struts have caved :confused: in cold weather??? Something to take note of.

Alu-cab specifically told us not to leave our bedding at the top when we close the roof. We sleep in sleepingbags though, and they fit up top without a problem, but then again, it does not get N E A R L Y as cold here as in Portland :eek:

Another great addition going in is this nifty box kitchen by Alu Innovations.

View attachment 1961701
View attachment 1961702

It is called the 'Versabox' and will be available to self-install. They are fitting my induction stove plate to the drop-down table. I think I am most excited about this addition!!!

Stay well!
Alet
Alet do you have some details on the induction plate... power consumption (I believe it is high) size inverter etc. or are you only running it when there is shore supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom