craigslist Cape Cod: 91 FJ80 - Not Mine - help requested. first time buyer looking for advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Red
Outside Link
https://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/d/south-orleans-1991-toyota-landcruiser/7349688074.html
Hi all - first time posting (long time reading) and looking for advice. I am looking to pull the trigger on my first Landcruiser, and this 91 FJ80 caught my eye as it is local and only $3k.

While I am eager to learn and fix up my first Landcruiser a bit, I am curious if this amount of rust should be a huge red flag for me or not. I am willing to get some work done as the asking price is only $3k…however I don’t want all of my extra money to be spent on rust repair/paint rather than some new tires. Ive linked the CL post to detailed pics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Should I run? Should I buy it this Saturday and get to work?

Thanks in advance! Also bear with me as this is my first time posting (so hopefully this thread is in the appropriate place)

cheers

9B6D820B-E992-4A20-A909-0E1436AFEEC6.jpeg

If you’re looking for a reason to buy a mig welder and learn sheet metal repair, this is a good one. I bought a 100 series with rusted through quarter panels and fixed them myself. Now I know how to do that, and why I would pay someone else to do it in the future, which is nice.
This seems like a low-risk price point. As was said above, this is an underpowered truck, so you’ll need to be a chill driver.
The ugliest thing about rust for me is the fact that most bolts under that truck will break when you try to turn them. If you’re okay with that, go for it.

If you are buying with the intention of learning the fj80 is a great truck, if you want any performance what so ever a fzj80 would be better.

That said the fj80 is a good engine swap platform as the price is lower and wiring in the engine bay is simpler.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom