Events/Trails Canyonlands Nat'l park - Needles district, Devil's Kitchen campground Oct 10,11,12- 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After we invested in some Under Armor 3.0 base layers and merino wool socks, life got more enjoyable for my family during cold weather camping.

I know. I’m afraid to tell the girls yet.

I'll bring firewood but if someone could bring a fire pit of some sort, that'd be handy. Everyone, bring firewood if possible! We'll need to haul out our own ash.

Updated list. Juan is having vehicle issues.

#1 - Ali
#2 - Lawrences
#3 - Pappy
#4 - Dave (the gadget guy)
#5 - Ron
#6 - Juan Tracy

I let Tracy know but it's last minute but she'll do her best. She'll be coming from Provo, UT so not too far away.

Last edited:
Bring the warm, people.

weather.jpg

For keeping warm, I'll bring moonshine, whiskey and tequila.......oh and coffee :bounce:

Let's all get our comm gear up and running and I'll bring extra radios just in case.

@pappy - i'll monitor whatever UT repeater I can hit once we get into UT so that we can connect.

The frequency we'll be using for this trip is the same as always: 146.400. We can dial all that in at the HD parking lot Thur am.

Last edited:
For keeping warm, I'll bring moonshine, whiskey and tequila.......oh and coffee :bounce:

and Bailey's for the coffee....maybe pumpkin spice flavor for the current season

Utah sucks. Don't go. Pic doesn't do the landscape justice. Green River.

IMG_20191014_154750.jpg

Utah sucks. Don't go. Pic doesn't do the landscape justice. Green River.

You're right and there are some things you just can't un-see...thanks for posting🖕

Now, where's the rest of the pics!

Dude. I'm in a beach chair staring at the Green River, on the edge of nowhere. Pics will need to wait.

This was a trip for the books. Weather was clear but dang cold. The hiking was off the hook and of course, the crawling was pure joy. Elephant hill doesn't give you much time to warm up; slap her into 4low then start climbing while the peanut gallery watched from the parking lot. The trip from the Needles visitor center to Devil's kitchen campground is about 2.5 hours. We aired down at the visitor center which was a smart idea because the space below E. Hill was rather crowded and busy.

First hike on Friday was to go drive to the Confluence overlook and hike the 1/2 mile to the cliff's edge. Afterwards, we went to Chesler park/Joint trail and started the hike to go check out Druid arch. Due to the late start, we didn't reach the destination but the slot canyon hiking was off the hook. David Jr and Dave Sr opted to hike back to the campground while the rest of the group drove back. Yeah, they beat us to the CG by half hour! 🤣

On Saturday, David/daughter and Ron headed out of the park. David/daughter did some climbing while Ron meandered home. David Jr, Dave Sr, Pappy and I headed south of the park. We took notes of some camp grounds inside the park that are worth checking out in the future. We hit SOB hill, again, then climbed the famous Bobby's hole. We were all geared and lifted so it was easy work but sure looked dang ferocious from down below.

After checking out the ruins in Ruin park inside of Beef Basin, we setup camp near hwy 95. On Sunday morning, Pappy separated from the group and headed to Green River. I took the remainder of the crew to Butler wash for some hiking and ruin finding before airing up in Bluff and heading home. Butler Wash road is washed out 2.5 miles north from hwy 191. When I say washed out, I mean a 12' deep hole and 4' wide crevasse opened up! We managed to work around the wash but it took a while.

I put up a Google photo album that the fellas can dump into. Some vids on there too:

Last edited:
On Sunday morning, Pappy separated from the group and headed to Green River.
You're right and there are some things you just can't un-see...thanks for posting🖕

Now, where's the rest of the pics!

I will just leave this here until I can get to the rest. By far the pic of the trip.

IMGP1942-sm.jpg

That place is incredible. Bummed we couldn't make it.

I will just leave this here until I can get to the rest.

Enjoy.

My first night campsite off Lockhart Rd.

IMGP1769-sm.jpg

Too bad the view sucked.

IMGP1802-sm.jpg

Moon rise. Sunset.

IMGP5580-sm.jpg

Colorado River Overlook.

IMGP1820-sm.jpg

Elephant Hill.

IMGP1826-sm.jpg

More Elephant Hill. David L.

IMGP1831-sm.jpg

Deer. Heavy image crop.

IMGP5588-sm.jpg

At the top of Bobby's Hole. Now they tell us.

IMGP1835-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Horseshoe Canyon Trailhead.

IMGP1842-sm.jpg

Alcove art.

IMGP1858-sm.jpg

Great Gallery.

IMGP1879-sm.jpg

Green River.

IMGP1900-sm.jpg

More Green River. You can't see it in the pic, but rafters camped on the sandbar in the middle right.

IMGP1911-sm.jpg

Yep, still the Green River.

IMGP1928-sm.jpg

Green River overlook camp.

IMGP1951-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom