Events/Trails Canyonlands Nat'l park - Needles district, Devil's Kitchen campground Oct 10,11,12- 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I tried to get reservations for the White Rim trail but everything booked up quickly so I went ahead and grabbed two reservations for Devil's kitchen campground site #1 and #3. I hope the system will let me hold two reservations but if not, I need a second name to put on the reservation. Cost is $30/reservation x 2 = $60. Each res allows three rigs for a total of six rigs or a cost of $10/rig. I picked this date to coincide with APS fall break.

For once we'll be staying put in one spot for the ENTIRE time. Yeah, I know, I know, that's not our normal M.O. but it'd be nice to setup base camp then make day runs or hikes. This place is hiking and MTB galore so we'll stay busy, I'm sure.

Per the rules of Canyonlands, no dogs allowed but there are pit toilets at this location. Unfortunately, the spots are not next to each other and I have no idea where sites #1 and #3 are located but who cares. This place is cool!

Devils Kitchen Campground

I'll depart ABQ on Thurs morning after we all meet for breakfast (either at the Daily Grind or someplace else) and head to the Needles district visitor center. Our entrance into the Needles district will be through the famous Elephant Hill. We can explore Bobby's hole and other areas. If you want to MTB, bring it! If you want to take a day to go visit Moab, by all means, have at it. If you want your friends to meet us at the entrance to Needles district paved parking lot so that they can hop in with you, go for it.

This trip is NOT trailer friendly due to the difficulty with E. Hill but also lack of space at the camp sites. Everything here is tight and a huge PITA. Yes, I've pulled my Kamparoo through E. Hill and survived but never again. E. Hill is a challenging obstacle so you need to have sliders and a little height wouldn't hurt. There'll be plenty of spotters to guide you through and probably a large peanut gallery of onlookers. We'll get sneered at by the hikers who parked their Subarus on the pavement below :meh:

Canyonland does NOT allow dogs in their parks.

Also, please bring your own WAG system because they might check.

One jerry can of fuel isn't a bad idea as the mercantile store outside the park, Needles Outpost, may or may not have fuel.

Post up if you CAN make it, not if you'd LIKE to make it but not sure :rolleyes:

#1 - Ali
#2 - Lawrences
#3 - Pappy
#4 - Dave (the gadget guy)
#5 - Ron
#6 - Juan Tracy

Wait list:
Tracy

Last edited:
OK, I'm in.

Well crap. That filled up faster than campgrounds at Yellowstone. And I was actually seriously considering it.

As I recall Ali, David L. and I have been over E-Hill. In case some of you haven't, it is rather challenging, but not too crazy. I think it's rated a 3/5. Notable on this trail is E Hill itself. You climb up rather quickly and end up at a sharp U-turn. You pull forward, do a 10-point turn to get pointed the other direction, and continue up. There are tight switchbacks on the downhill side that require backing down one leg. A short-wheelbase can do the turns, but a wagon can't. From there it's easier, but still has it's moments. It's a fun trail, and will give you a quick introduction to Utah slickrock wheeling.

As I recall Ali, David L. and I have been over E-Hill. In case some of you haven't, it is rather challenging, but not too crazy. I think it's rated a 3/5. Notable on this trail is E Hill itself. You climb up rather quickly and end up at a sharp U-turn. You pull forward, do a 10-point turn to get pointed the other direction, and continue up. There are tight switchbacks on the downhill side that require backing down one leg. A short-wheelbase can do the turns, but a wagon can't. From there it's easier, but still has it's moments. It's a fun trail, and will give you a quick introduction to Utah slickrock wheeling.
I can confirm that you can do it with a stock suspension 100-series if you take off the running boards. Sliders give peace of mind but not required. A receiver hitch or stout rear bumper is definitely a good idea though.

I just checked the reservation system and there are still overnight permits available for the other nearby designated camping areas (Horsehoof, Bobby Joe, New Bates Wilson).

I just realized Larry edited his post and he's out. I'll take his spot.

This is what happens if you're being cocky and trying to make the really sharp turn on the switchback instead of accepting to back down that section like everyone else does.
2010-05-02 025.jpg

This is what happens if you're being cocky and trying to make the really sharp turn on the switchback instead of accepting to back down that section like everyone else does.View attachment 2001536
Yep. I seem to recall he got the Eight-Ball Award that year. And a lot of looks when they said it happened on E-Hill.

But here's that same guy just a few hours later. And his wife is still smiling.
2010-05-02 058.jpg

Chessler Park Trailhead.
2010-05-02 046.jpg
2010-05-02 048.jpg
2010-05-02 044.jpg

I just realized Larry edited his post and he's out. I'll take his spot.
There will be 2 or 3 of us. Paige may opt to stay with friends or family. Colin goes to CNM and has a job. He also doesn't like us because he's 17.

Talked to Todd. Wait list us! Or maybe we'll look into the other permits Marc mentioned so we can bring both rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom